vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Nov 07, 2010 09:14 PM

Hi,

I have two VMware datacentres, located in different cities. They are both managed from the same vCentre. Everything is running on ESXi 4.1 and the latest vCentre.

When I am trying to vMotion a guest from one datacentre to another, the vCentre validations all pass, however the process fails after a couple of minutes, saying cannot relocate virtual machine. An error message box pops up as well, saying "Cannot connect to host".

vMotion works fine within each Datacentre. I can also telnet to port 902 on any ESXi server on either site.

Any idea's what the issue could be?

• 2.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2010 10:26 PM

Hi Rhodan,

You need to have a common shared storage and a Gb connexion with vMotion enabled on a single subnet for the live migration to function. Do you have such a configuration between your two sites?

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

• 3.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Nov 07, 2010 10:36 PM

Hi,

We have an EVA SAN in each location that the ESXi hosts access, this is not shared across the sites, not sure what you are asking here?

They have a 1gbit network connection.

The vMotion network at each site is on a seperate subnet.

Where did you get these requirements from, URL please?

• 4.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Nov 07, 2010 10:46 PM

• 5.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Nov 07, 2010 11:22 PM

Hi,

One of the requirements of VMotion is that you need to be able to see the shared storage from source and destination host in a VMotion. Also the VMotion network needs to be available at both sites, i.e. both sites are connected to the same VMotion network.

We actually did this for fun to see if we could have a planned DR fail over without outages to the VMs. Created a layer2 network between both sites for VMotion and VM network. Storage from primary site was presented to hosts in DR site.

This allowed us to VMotion a VM to a host in the DR site. From there we SVMotioned this to a LUN on the secondary storage so the primary array could be taken offline. To be honest this was fun, but not really practical.

Thanks and hope this helps.

• 6.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Aug 15, 2011 09:20 AM

Hi Rhodan

Can you remember what you did to resolve this query you posted? I am having the same issue doing Storage vMotion across remote sites, managed by same vCenter.

After a few minutes, task fails with "Cannot connect to host"

I have successfully tested a Storage vMotion of a guest VM from Site A to Site B (different SAN storage at each site, different vMotion networks at each site, and all hosts in vCenter can successfully communicate with each other), but getting the guest VM to Site C is failing (from either Site A or B)

Hosts running ESXi 4.1 (Build 348481)

vCenter 4.1 (Build 258902)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Darren

#VMwarerulz

• 7.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Nov 08, 2010 12:46 AM

You can't use vMotion without shared storage, besides, the source and destination hosts need a vMotion network where both hosts can see each other.

If you doesn't have this requirements you won't be able to complete the vMotion process.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

• 8.  RE: vMotion between Datacentres in remote sites

Posted Nov 08, 2010 07:13 AM

for moving vm's from one data center to other. Firstly VM's should be shutdowned.

Few point I am highligtening :

It should match these points for successful migration.

• The VM cannot be connected to an internal vswitch.

• The VM cannot be connected to a CD-ROM or floppy drive that is using an ISO or floppy image stored on a drive that is local to the host server.

• The VM's affinity must not be set, i.e., binding it to physical CPU(s).

• The VM must not be clustered with another VM (using a cluster service like the Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS)).

• The two ESX servers involved must both be using (the same!) shared storage.

• The two ESX servers involved must be connected via Gigabit Ethernet (or better).

• The two ESX servers involved must have access to the same physical networks.

• The two ESX servers involved must not have virtual switch port groups that are labeled the same.

• The two ESX servers involved must have compatible CPUs. (See support on Intel and AMD).

If you find this information helpful. pls recommend and mark as helpful.