VMware Cloud Community
obrienim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMotion Configuration Questions

I have read over the documentation and am getting ready to implement vMotion for our two servers here.

The one thing I am not sure on in the configuration is does the VirtualCenter server also need a connection to the VLAN for vMotion?

I am sure that at this point I am simply out thinking myself, but I wanted to ask before I ran my cabling.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter won't need access to the vlan / subnet or IP range that you will be using for vmotion. It will just need access to the service console IP address.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter won't need access to the vlan / subnet or IP range that you will be using for vmotion. It will just need access to the service console IP address.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

By access do you mean "be located on" the VLAN? If so the answer is no. The VMkernel port groups you are using the VMotion for will need to be on the same VLAN on each host. Also it may not be a bad idea to have the Service Console have a route to this VLAN as well. Which would also mean that you VC Server would probably have a route as well.

In an example. I use VMotion on a seperate VLAN than SC or VC but they have routes to the VMotion VLAN.

Hope this helps.

Help me help you by scoring points.
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dave is correct.. Technically the VMotion/VMkernel portgroups only need access to other VMotion/VMkernel port groups on other hosts.. VC Server only needs access to the Service Console interface/ipaddress.

Help me help you by scoring points.
0 Kudos
obrienim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you. I was just trying to confirm that the only connection Virtual Center needed was to the service console, and there wasn't anything esle I was going to need for implementing vMotion.

It is a tight fit running cables, so I only wanted to do it once :smileyblush:

0 Kudos