VMware Cloud Community
mshorrosh
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter won't start after reboot

here's the errors I've collected from the vpx logs.

Logs are stored here

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

Errors probably not preventing it from starting

Ignoring unknown entry from DB: templates.repository

Ignoring unknown entry from DB: VirtualCenter.PortNumber

Ignoring unknown entry from DB: WebService.CompatibleWith1x

detected IP conflict between vm (moId:vm-2899) nic:GuestInfo.net[0].ipAddress[0] and entity (moId:vm-134)

Error that is preventing it from starting (No idea what this error means)

Panic: NOT_IMPLEMENTED d:/build/ob/bora-162856/bora/vpx/vpxd/vpxdMoDatacenter.cpp:1401

Backtrace:

backtrace[00] eip 0x019e88f0 ?AbortProcess@System@Vmacore@@YAXXZ

backtrace[01] eip 0x019e9077 ?CreateBacktrace@SystemFactoryImpl@System@Vmacore@@UAEXAAV?$Ref@VBacktrace@System@Vmacore@@@3@@Z

backtrace[02] eip 0x0192b863 ?PanicExit@Vmacore@@YAXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z

backtrace[03] eip 0x019570be ?Vpanic@Vmacore@@YAXPBDPAD@Z

backtrace[04] eip 0x008055d1 (no symbol)

backtrace[05] eip 0x00727bdb (no symbol)

backtrace[06] eip 0x0058db67 (no symbol)

backtrace[07] eip 0x0058dcc9 (no symbol)

backtrace[08] eip 0x0058faf1 (no symbol)

backtrace[09] eip 0x004ef983 (no symbol)

backtrace[10] eip 0x004ea4e1 (no symbol)

backtrace[11] eip 0x004e6950 (no symbol)

backtrace[12] eip 0x7d1f5e91 LookupPrivilegeValueW

backtrace[13] eip 0x77e6482f GetModuleHandleA

CoreDump: Writing minidump

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vrm
Contributor
Contributor

Have you already solved this problem? What was the problem if solved?

I've have maybe a similar problem with a vCenter server. After rebooting the server the following happens:

The vpxd service is starting,

After a few seconds the vpxd service is started

Seconds later the vpxd service is stopped.

This repeats for several hours and finally the vpxd service is started automatically and vCenter works fine again.

0 Kudos
KenEisman
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found an answer to this? I'm getting the exact same error and log entries.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

not sure what's happening, but I've seen that path (d:\ora\build...) cause issues for Update Manager installations. the fix for that is to uninstall and delete the installation directories under program files\vmware\infrastructure and doc & Settings\all users\app data\vmware . reboot and re-install.

0 Kudos
vrm
Contributor
Contributor

The problem that we have with the vCenter Service (VPXD) that wouldn't start after a reboot was issued by a corrupted memory module. After replacing it vCenter starts normal again.

0 Kudos
KenEisman
Contributor
Contributor

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the first time this happened. That lasted about a week before it started happening again. I didn't manually delete all those directories, though. If I do that, won't I lose all the configuration I have set up in vCenter? Or is there a way to back up my configuration and restore it to the new installation?

I'm sorry for the questions but I'm a VMWare noob.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

0 Kudos
bxnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am in the same situation where the vCenter Server 4 services will not start after reboot.

I have aplied the fixe below and mysteriously its fixed one vcenter server but on my other test vcenter the services still not running.

The SQL fixed below.

Adding a dependency to the VirtualCenter service so that it waits for SQL Express remedies this.

To create a service dependency:

1.Click Start > Run.

2.Type services.msc and press Enter.

3.Locate the SQL Express instance for VirtualCenter. For example, SQL Server (SQLEXP_VIM).

4.Open the SQL Express instance and note the Service Name. For example, MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM .

5.In the Run dialog, type Regedit.exe and press Enter. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd .

6.Double-click the DependOnService key and add the Service name using the name identified in step 4.

7.Close Regedit .

8.Go back to the Services Panel and open the SQL Server properties.

9.On the Dependencies tab, verify the VMware VirtualCenter service is listed as depending on the SQL service instance.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

no, all of the configuration settings are stored in the database, with the exception of the ssl certs. if you don't copy those back after re-install, then you will have to enter your root/passwd credentials on all hosts to get them back in working mode with the VC.

0 Kudos
KenEisman
Contributor
Contributor

I've been in touch with tech support and found out that vCenter 4 u1 doesn't support Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter. So, I guess I'll have to back up my database and re-install on an older OS.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

0 Kudos
padgettmic
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same issue, the error points to database corruption with the vCenter database. In my case there were 2 unique records in VPX_DATASTORE table that both referenced the same datastore. After looking at vpx_datastore_info and vpx_ds_assignment tables I could see where one of the 2 records was never referenced. After deleting the bad record from vpx_entity table, vCenter service started correctly.

This is the 2nd or third time I have ran into some type of vCenter db corruption. It seems that the vCenter service will continue to run even if it has orphaned or duplicate records in the database but if you stop and restart the service it does a validity check of the database and will not start the service if it finds the any corruption.

0 Kudos