VMware Cloud Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter without a Domain?

I am setting up a virtualized development system consisting of two EqualLogic SANS and two Dell R710 Servers and will be using vSphere Essentials Plus.  This is for a customer at their new location.

The problem is, they do not know if they will be using a domain, a DNS server, or any other networking information and the system needs to be installed with ESXi and vCenter prior to shipment.

When installing vCenter 4.1, there is a requirement for a Domain Controller to be present and a statement in the guide saying During the installation, the connection between the machine and the domain controller must be working”

Is it possible to install vCenter 4.1 without a domain existing and then at a later time, join the vCenter server to a domain that is using DNS?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

anything is possible.  However, if you could push back a bit until  all AD is setup properly, as well as DNS, it will make things so much  easier.  Not only will you have to join the vCenter Host OS to the  domain, but you have to make changes to the ESXi Host, to add proper DNS  and routing information.  Yes, this can be done after, but it seems  like an awful lot of unnecessary work.

Plus,  in the meantime you'll have to create hosts files on both vCenter and  ESXi to talk to each other properly.  HA is very name resolution  dependant.  Again, if you can, I would have AD and DNS setup and in  place first.

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The contractor said that a default networking IP scheme can be used but does not know

I hear what you are saying and agree..

Problem is, they do not know any of the network information at this point

I was going to use a default networking IP scheme that they agreed on and use a workgroup.

I could stand up a DC and DNS Server as VMs by using the ESXi standalone client connection and the default networking IP scheme, but that may only may it more difficult for them later..

They want to use it priot to having it shipped to the new location..

Are there procedures for joining vCenter / ESXi to a DC after the fact?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Are there procedures for joining vCenter / ESXi to a DC after the fact?

You don't NEED to join your ESXi Hosts to the domain.  We just just fully qualify ours for the search domains as well as DNS.  However, if you want to use AD autentication, you can.  You will see Authentication Services under the Configuration Tab of your ESXi Host.

As for vCenter, you would just join the Windows guest to your domain and that should be it.

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah,

I am running another virtual structure with vCenter and the ESXi Servers using AD.

Sure make it easier for authentication,.,.

I will proceed with the workgroup install but make it know to them what will be required..

They not only will they have  to join a DC, they may have to redo the IP scheme if they get new network schemes,

At that  point, you might as well reinstall vCenter and ESXi from the ground up..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

At that  point, you might as well reinstall vCenter and ESXi from the ground up.

yeah... Bummer though... If all pre-requisites were there prior, you would be able to do it right the first time.  Building an environment only to tear it down and rebuild seems a bit backwards... But, hey, job security right Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep.

They may want me to drive to their location....1.5 hrs one way...,,, which I was trying to avoid,,:smileyangry:

i guess I get a free lunch out of it,,, :smileymischief:

0 Kudos