VMware Cloud Community
cojacks85
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter within VM - very bad performance / host unreachable error message in VC/VIC overview

Hi guys,

I've set up a virtual environment today - not for the first time - but experiencing some strange and never seen issues.

I've the following config:

Host1, HP DL585 4x Quadcore / 96GB RAM

vmSwitch0 SC connection

vmSwitch1 VMKernel iSCSI connection

vmSwitch3 VMNetwork

vmSwitch4 vCenter Management Network (same net as service consoles)

Host2, HP DL585 4x Quadcore / 96GB RAM

vmSwitch0 SC connection

vmSwitch1 VMKernel iSCSI connection

vmSwitch3 VMNetwork

vmSwitch4 vCenter Management Network (same net as service consoles)

Licenses are proper setup with the license server.

Only thing I haven't done with networking is setting a FQDN or doing entries in the host files and there is no standard gateway set for vMotion cause it's a cross connect between the two servers, however HA, vMotion and DRS are working.

vCenter is running virtualized in a Win2k3 R2 Enterprise 32bit VM, reservations according to the best practices are made.

Now if I'm entering the licensing tab of the single esx servers in vcenter management view and want to change the licensing to point to the license server the vc-server performs the task but an error message appears which is stating something like "the host was not responding for a long time. The action could not be performed". Yet I hadn't a chance to verify if this is only linked to the licensing configuration tab or if this error occurs on other configuration tasks.

Some time before I had some issues with the vCenter VM itself, where I couldn't connect to the console of the VM on ESX and on VC management, but could ping it, so it wasn't unresponsive.

Would be nice if someone has a hint on that, I wanted to migrate VMs from a testsystem where the eval license is evading tomorrow noon, so I'm in a kind of under pressure Smiley Wink

Thanks a million in advance for your responses.

Cheers,

Timo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cojacks85
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

this was due to a CISCO related network problem with an ASA firewall component. It just grabbed all IPs it could get although it was configured with CISCO best practices in mind...

Some strange NAT problems.. however problems are resolved Smiley Wink

Cheers

0 Kudos