VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter web add VM notes

I know this should be REAL simple, however notes doesn't seem to be working.

This is specifically for the WEB client NOT the VI client that you install.

Click on any VM, there is an "annotations" area to add notes.  I click, nothing happens.. I get no cursor to input data in this field.

So question, how do we update notes via the web client?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AFAIK, for vCenter5, you can't add notes/annotations using the vCenter Web Client. Any notes that may or may not be there would come from what was added using the vSphere Client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AFAIK, for vCenter5, you can't add notes/annotations using the vCenter Web Client. Any notes that may or may not be there would come from what was added using the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, thanks.  That settles that.  Weird that we can do everything else EXCEPT notes.  Yet ANOTHER glaring example of how VM Ware doesn't do QA or involve users BEFORE a release of a product.. astounding.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well, they do do QA and involve users - I was on the beta program, which is user involvement.

Now, is this an equally functional product to the VI Client?  No, but they never suggested it was.  I'd recommend looking at it this way:  Its a glimpse into the future, showing progress is being made towards elimination of the VI Client.  Just like the VCVA, they acknowldge its not 100%, but release it anyway to start getting feedback (user involvement) while they finish up.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, see your point.. HOWEVER...

Notes is NOT a new feature, it's been there since EVERY version (GSX, ESX, VM Ware server, Workstation..) of VM Ware product, .... how do you NOT included a feature that is inherited?  It's not like I am asking to implement NEW features, they should AT LEAST adopt very basic features, like annotation..

Not trying to implement new or recently added features.  It seems to me that something so basic SHOULD be in a early version of the web.  It's still basic functionality.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree, its seems like notes should be on the easier end of hte scale.

Let me ask this - how often do people really use them (this is a legitimate question).  I've never seen an environment where they were used for anything notable (hehe) or consistent.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Isn't this the place where you'd usually document username and password :smileylaugh:

André

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Matt wrote:

I agree, its seems like notes should be on the easier end of hte scale.

Let me ask this - how often do people really use them (this is a legitimate question).  I've never seen an environment where they were used for anything notable (hehe) or consistent.

OK, that is a good point.  However, and believe me I *DO* get that the VSA is new, I understand (now) that it's not complete, and not really intended as a "final" version.

I am trying to get AWAY from using Windows.  I am trying to fully use ONLY Linux (and my Droid phone), not use ANY Windows (not even VM's) for the purposes of Management and Administration of VM's.

So the web (even alternative Linux client) is what I was STRIVING for.  If I can't do it, it's not the end of the world, because we don't use that many notes.  I just noticed it, and BEFORE I strip my laptop, and install Linux Mint, I want to see if there is ANYTHING I would need (including being able to update notes).

I am on a personal mission to be a Linux Admin (and pretend Windows doesn't exist), so I can FULLY learn it and be a Linux Guru.

0 Kudos