VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter service wont start after upgrade.

Guys,

I attempted to upgrade my vCenter Server from a earlier RC version of 4.1 (cant remember the build number) to my most current build of 4.1 The installed seemed to run the upgrade witrhout any issues. However I can no longer connect to vCenter. The VMware VirtualCenter service will not start and it presents the folloowing error in the event log.

"The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).".

vCenter was working fine before and I'm not sure what to do next. Help!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What version of Windows are you running? Also have you tried disabling your firewall and trying to start the service?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade beta code. I would start fresh with a new Host OS, as well as a new vCenter install. See if that helps.

peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running Windows 2008 and its a VM. The firewall is turned off. Everything was running ok prior to the upgrade attempt.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What about anti-virus?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

SQL Express DB?

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No AV. Microsoft SQL server 2008 is installed. I found the following error in th vpx logs I dont know if its the cause of my problem

"System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VpxClient' is denied".

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try right clicking and running as Administrator

0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running as admin did not solve the issues.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you don't have IIS running on this box do you? If so disable it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe worth a try. Disable UAC (User Account Control)

André

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So what was the fix?

0 Kudos