VMware Cloud Community
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter server suddenly stops working

Hi all,

Every once in a while (about 2 times a week) vCenter service stops with the following error in event viewer:

Faulting application name: vpxd.exe, version: 5.0.0.29542, time stamp: 0x4f3e030b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
Faulting process id: 0x2508
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5f03f44df961
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\vpxd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1795e64c-cc17-11e1-902b-0050568400f6

My DB is Oracle and everything looks good on DB (at least that's what my DBA says).

When it happens, I just start the service and everything works well again.

The vCenter machine has 8GB RAM and 4vCPUs and is a Windows 2008 R2.

Thank for any information,

Razvan Stoica

0 Kudos
12 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Do you have an antivirus client on your VC? I've seen a similar issue recently which was caused by the av client

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

No. No Antivirus software is installed.

Thank you,

Razvan

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Check your vpxd log and see if it has additional information. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021804 for more info on log locations.

Is vCenter running on physical or virtual - is it a supported configuration?

How about the database - is it supported, virtual, physical?

Is the network connectivity solid between the vCenter Server and the db?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Before the crash it says:

2012-07-12T14:44:02.618+03:00 [04648 error 'Default' opID=6A182C88-000058A6] Alert:false@ d:/build/ob/bora-623373/bora/vpx/vpxd/drm/vpxdDrmSupport.cpp:284
--> Backtrace:
--> backtrace[00] rip 000000018013deba (no symbol)
--> backtrace[01] rip 0000000180101518 (no symbol)
--> backtrace[02] rip 0000000180101a5e (no symbol)

After that nothing relevant.

Both DB and vCenter Server are virtual machines and working in a supported configuration.

The connectivity between them is 1000gbps.

Thank you,

Razvan

0 Kudos
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi!

You can try to add

<orm>
<verifyLinksOnLoad>false</verifyLinksOnLoad>
</orm>
<vmomi>
<panicOnLinkErrors>false</panicOnLinkErrors>
</vmomi>
To your vpxd.cfg (Located in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter) and restart the service.
Make sure to include it between <vpxd> </vpxd>
However, I would contact support about this issue and see if they have a permanent fix for it.
--- Martin
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. I've just add the modifications you pointed and now I'm waiting to see if there is still a problem.

Best regards,

Razvan Stoica

0 Kudos
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

There was no change after the modifications. I opened a support case with vmware and they suggested to do the following:

select USERNAME, PROFILE from dba_users where USERNAME='VCLOUDUSER'; -- replace with vc user

then

SQL> select * from dba_profiles where PROFILE ='DEFAULT' and RESOURCE_NAME='IDLE_TIME'

2 /

Our DBA just removed all the limitation for the vCenter user and since then no crash.

Thank you for you response,

Razvan

0 Kudos
jithinraj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Razvan,

Did you find the solution for the issue? I faced the same issue and I'm having the same setup as you VC on win2k8 r2 with Oracle DB?

But i have installed Antivirus in Windows.

any pointer?

Thanks

Jithin

0 Kudos
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jithin

After our DBA removed any limitations of the db user there was no problem. I have written that on communities.

Razvan

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

0 Kudos
jithinraj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Razvan,

Thanks very much for the information. Let me check with my DBA.

Regards

Jithin

0 Kudos
habeebth7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have encountered the same problem with SQL as the database. Would the above solution(removing limitation on DB) will work here as well??

Thanks in advance..

0 Kudos
OlafC
Contributor
Contributor

Make a backup of the SQL Logs, that will disrupt the loop of starting the service.

The problem is actually a full logfile.

0 Kudos