VMware Cloud Community
VMmao
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter server 5.0 - Issue with search in linked mode vCenter servers

Hi,

I have two vCenter servers 5.0 connected via linked mode, but when I look for a particular VM using the search (Home -> Search), I have got answers just from the vCenter which I am connected to.

Let me explain better:

I have two servers, VC1 and VC2, in linked mode. The problem is that when I point VC1 in the client to connect to my infrastructure, if I use the search it gives me the VMs just from VC1, it seems that it doesn't look inside VC2. Obvioulsly I have the same behavior if I use VC2 in the client to connect to the infrastructure.

Before the upgrade to 5.0 I had the same two vCenter Servers with 4.1 U1, and the search worked very well.

Thanks

Maurizio

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

try different object names for search and see if it is happening for one object or all objects

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
VMmao
Contributor
Contributor

Done, same behavior with datastores and networks too.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

were both vcenters installed independently and then linked

or one was installed as standalone and then other installed at linked mode.

repair one vcenter and select option of linked while re-configuration

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
VMmao
Contributor
Contributor

The vcenters were both installed as standalone and the joined in linked mode (Start -> programs -> Vmware -> vCenter server linked mode configuration). I'm gonna try with the repair of one of the vcenter, i'll let you know.

0 Kudos
VMmao
Contributor
Contributor

Solved, no repair vcenter needed: we just opened two additional ports that were not needed in vcenter 4.1: port 10111 TCP and 636 TCP (see  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101238... ), now it works.

Bye

Maurizio

0 Kudos