VMware Cloud Community
Ham21
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter server 4.1

the plan is to install install vcenter on physical machine.

Win 2008 OS  will be installed locally on HDD. we are presenting FC SAN (RAID - 5, 600 GB) to the physical sever where we will install vcenter 4.1 application, SQL 2008 and update manager.

The number of ESX/ESXi host in the environment is 75

can we have SQL and application reside on same SAN storage. will it be an performance issue in future??.

note: Customer says being a moderate enviroment both SQL and vcenter application can reside on same storage.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
suhaimim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, according to my experiance it is recommended to install SQL inside vCenter server (locally) as per vmware recommendation.

However, vCenter Update Manager download path can be configure to SAN datastore. It might use large of capacity.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

why do you install vCenter on physical server instead of virtual ? I have vCenter server on virtual machine which supports more than 75 hosts (DB is installed locally or on external server) and there is no problem with performance and additionally vCenter server  is protected by VMware HA against hardware failure.

If your main concern is performance install vCenter server on virtual machine but vCenter DB place on external DB server.

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos