VMware Cloud Community
chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter on a VM v/s vCenter directly on hardware?

Hi,

I don't know if this has already been discussed but I would like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of each possibility?

I actually have my vCenter Server running on a Win2003 on a VM, with the database installed by default, i.e. on the same VM. What do you recommend in terms of backup for this VM? What will actually happen if this VM has a problem and crash? Will my infrastructure continue working?

I'm asking all this because I installed the vCenter Server on a VM at a client's premises and he would now like to install directly a Win2003 on the physical server and install vCenter with its database on the physical machine. What are the steps that I should do to prevent losing all my configuration that are actually in the VM?

Thanks in advance

LF

VSP | VTSP

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
4 Replies
anh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

You can do different this in terms of backup. You can backup the VM using VCB or something similar, thats what i do. You could also backup the DB on the vCenter server. Its got all the config and performance-stats the vcenter generates. If your vc crashes your ESX-hosts and VMs will keep running. But DRS, HA vmotion and so on will of course not work.

Regards

Anders Hansen

Regards Anders Hansen
jasonvines
Contributor
Contributor

If your client has vMotion I would leave it virtual. My client only has essentials plus and I have to clone the vCenter VM to a different host to run updates. That is the only downfall that I see, is losing the functionality of update manager by having vCenter in a VM without vMotion.

chayolle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for your answers. The box running the vCenter VM is actually an ESXi 4, therefore no vMotion...

From what I understand, I should backup the database itself before reinstalling a fresh vCenter Server, and then restore the database back to the new server, and then point the vCenter server to this database, am I right? The process of pointing it to the database is a complex one or quite straight forward? I really don't have a clue of how doing this actually Smiley Sad, any documents or knowledge base for this?

VSP | VTSP

VSP | VTSP
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know if this has already been discussed but I would like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of each possibility?

Pro: faster to restore, you can use VMware HA to restart VC, VC is jsut an "appliance"

Con: maybe not so scalabe and it use resources from your infrastrastructure.

I actually have my vCenter Server running on a Win2003 on a VM, with the database installed by default, i.e. on the same VM. What do you recommend in terms of backup for this VM?

Each backup solution that work for a VM work also in this case

I'm asking all this because I installed the vCenter Server on a VM at a client's premises and he would now like to install directly a Win2003 on the physical server and install vCenter with its database on the physical machine. What are the steps that I should do to prevent losing all my configuration that are actually in the VM?

See:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893 - VMware Self-Service- Moving the VirtualCenter SQL Database

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos