VMware Cloud Community
liontari
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter migration / upgrade

We are about to do a vCenter migration / upgrade (from physical to virtual, and 4.0.2 to 4.1.1) due to obsolescence of our current physical vCenter server.
we use VMware View 4.5 in our vSphere infrastructure, and we have many clients that connect via View.    

Our plan closely follows the VMware KB on migrating vCenter to a different host:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=5850444

1.            Shutdown (and disable) the Virtual Center Server service.
2.            Take a backup of the SQL database.
3.            Create a second instance of VC database and use the vendor's tools to migrate the data.
4.            Create the appropriate System DSN connections on the new vCenter Server host.
5.            Give IP address of old VC to new VC, and Shutdown old VC.
6.            Begin the installation of the vCenter Server software on the new VC.
7.            When prompted, select Use existing database, and provide the correct credentials to that database.
8.            When prompted, select to not re-initialize the data, as this erases all your inventory data.
9.            Reboot the new VC once the installation completes.
10.          Configure the licenses as before (Install VMWARE Licenses manually)
11.          Change IP address of VC on ESX hosts (If the IP address of the new vCenter Server has changed  - Not         applicable)
12.          Confirm that SQL Agent rollup jobs are present
13.          Install vsphere client 4.1.1 (on admin PCs). Test Hosts and cluster / VMs and templates / Datastores.
14.          Check vSphere version changes
15.          Adjust entry in View to point to new VC server – View Configuration – Servers - Edit – Change to new VC

The concern that I have is the integration with our View server, and a possible DNS correlation issues with the new vCenter server.

In the plan, in order to have a rollback opportunity, we have built a new virtual VC with a different name, with the idea of changing only the IP of the new VC server to match that of the old VC.
My assumption is that changing the vCenter Server address in View Administrator (i.e. to point to the new VC server name) will successfully link View to the new VC.

We have 3 possible scenarios:

1.    As above, migrate to new VC with same IP but different name, (as I believe this should work OK)
2.    Rather than just change the IP of the new VC to that of the old, actually remove the old VC from AD, and migrate the database to the new VC with both same DNS name and IP of the old VC. My reservation with this is that it will not be an easy rollback in the event of failure, as I would need to re-join the old VC back to the domain....(which could be messy re. SIDs)
3.    Install new VC afresh (without migrating database), add hosts back into the cluster and reconfigure DRS, HA.
    Would I then need to reinstall Vmware View completely (would it lose all its settings?), or could View simply be pointed to the new VC?

Anyone who has done a migration such as this involving View, what would be the best solution and why?
Many thanks..

0 Kudos
0 Replies