VMware Cloud Community
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter licenses

academic question: if I create a test vCenter4 server in another location (temporary testing only), could I export my existing vCenter licenses which appear to export as CSV file and use that file on my temporary vCenter server? I used to have a .lic file for virtualcenter2.5 and did that. But, for vCenter, there does not appear to be a .lic file any longer.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Technically speaking (vCenter/ESX 4.0) you would just plug in your license key into the new vCenter server (home screen, licensing). Not sure about the legality of this method (ie, does VMware allow using a license key on two different vCenter servers?)

athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For testing, I believe you have more than enough to test VC using 60 days evaluation license.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As the other posters stated vCenter uses a license key instead of the older lic files unless your serving up both vSphere and ESX 3.5 host. At that point you may have both a license file and a license key. I would contact license support to inquire about the legality of what you are attempting to do. Better to verify ahead of time.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to all. It was just "academic". We've been using the Eval Mode for testing but if we someday have to setup a DR site because our production site got hit by a tornado, I wondered if we could standup another vCenter and use the existing license key on a USB stick. Appreciate the replies.

0 Kudos