VMware Cloud Community
Mango96701
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter installation

I've just installed vCenter server as a trial and I am confused. It does not look anything like I expected. I only see programs for Orchestrator. I don't recall any of this during my training session for vSphere and vCenter. Did I download the wrong application? I am used to working with VirtualCenter and ESX3.5 and the vCenter application I worked with in class looked remarkably like VirtualCenter and I don't remember the install bringing down any Orchestrator components.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

HTTP to the IP address of your vCenter Server, then download the vSphere Client.

Once you have the vSphere client installed, then use that to connect to vCenter.

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

HTTP to the IP address of your vCenter Server, then download the vSphere Client.

Once you have the vSphere client installed, then use that to connect to vCenter.

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
Mango96701
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, yes....forgotten to do that. Thanks.

btw....with my test setup I am trying to connect an ESXi 4 host into vCenter. I am unable to do that. Does it have something to do with the free version?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It shouldn't have anything to do with the free version. Just try to contact the Service Console IP of the ESX host and that should really be it (afaik).

Regards,

Jonathan

Mango96701
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I created entries in the local host file for both the ESX4i host and vCenter. Both ping fine from the vCenter server. I tried to connect the ESX4i host using both the name and IP address with no luck.....

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you post a screen capture of the error message, with any of the verbiage that comes along with it?

Regards,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Mango96701
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

will do. I'm not at the console at the moment. Will have to wait until I return home this evening. Thanks, will reply later.

0 Kudos