VMware Cloud Community
mw_dg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter install fails with message Error starting 'vpxd_svcs'

I have had my vCenter install fail three times with this message.  When I check the error.log it says

cmd "/usr/bin/python /usr/lib/vmware-lookupsvc/tools/lstool.py list --url http://localhost:7090/lookupservice/sdk" timed out after 60 seconds due to lack of progress in last 30 seconds (0 bytes read)

No file found matching /etc/vmware-vpx/vc-extn-cisreg.prop

I have the full log bundle if anyone needs it, but it is too large to attach. I am not sure what to do.

Does anyone have suggestions? They would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

If the error is in the installation then for sure some of the requirements needed is not being satisfied or some inputs are not well received from vCenter:

• Which version of vCenter are you trying to install?
  • Make sure that the administrator@vsphere.local password contains basic special characters, I have seen issues while using "@" in the password for example.
  • Make sure your DNS configuration is correct, A and PTR Record and make sure there are no duplicated entries.
  • Make sure the ISO you downloaded is completely healthy and is not corrupted but comparing the MD5, SHA1 or SHA256 checksum which is pointed in the My VMware download page.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

If the error is in the installation then for sure some of the requirements needed is not being satisfied or some inputs are not well received from vCenter:

• Which version of vCenter are you trying to install?
  • Make sure that the administrator@vsphere.local password contains basic special characters, I have seen issues while using "@" in the password for example.
  • Make sure your DNS configuration is correct, A and PTR Record and make sure there are no duplicated entries.
  • Make sure the ISO you downloaded is completely healthy and is not corrupted but comparing the MD5, SHA1 or SHA256 checksum which is pointed in the My VMware download page.
0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Do you have proper DNS server setup in the environment ? Name resolution is much needed for vCenter installation, check the following article if it can help

vcenter appliance step 2 is not working | Nutanix Community

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
mw_dg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, will check ISO and I do think I have a DNS issue.

Thank you,

Michael

mw_dg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, i agree on DNS.  Will check that carefully.  Thank you,

Michael