VMware Cloud Community
gm7zach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter eval

Hey guys,

I am having some trouble. I signed up for the evaluation. I have vCenter Server 5 installed. I have one esxi 5 host and the rest are esxi 4.0 hosts. I am in the process of upgading but I host a lot of websites so I can not simply bring the hosts down to do the upgrade at the moment. I wanted to trial vMotion to see if we were going to invest in it.

When I open up vsphere 5 on my esxi 5 host, I have selected put it into evaluation mode to trial the featuers. But when I right click on a virtual machine there is not an option at all to migrate.

Also in vCenter Server 5 I can not find any way to add my hosts to the management.

Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong? I have been at this for days now.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Use the vSphere Client and connect to the vCenter Server instance (not the ESXi host). There you can create the datacenter by right clicking the vCenter Server in the inventory.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello and Welcome .

Yours virtual machines are in shared storage ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Are you using the vSphere client and connecting directly to the ESXi 5 host? If you are then you will not have an option to migrate as this is a feature of vCenetr.

Yo create an environment in vCenter the first step would be to create a Datacenter object - once that is done you would be able to right=click on the datacenter object in the inventory and one of the options would be to ad a host. Once the host is added to the vCenter environement you will have the migrate option on the VM drop down menu

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have one esxi 5 host and the rest are esxi 4.0 hosts

There will be no issue with adding the newly installed ESXi 5.0 host to the vCenter Server 5 environment. However, if the ESXi 4.0 hosts are stand alone (free) ESXi hosts - and installed for more than 60 days (eval period) - you may not be able to add those hosts to the new vCenter Server environment to use vMotion.

André

0 Kudos
gm7zach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MauroBonder: I have my virtual machines installed on the same datastore. Is that all you hvae to do to have it considered sharing?

weinstein5: Thanks I did not know about the object you had to create. I found some instructions to create one but when I click on view>inventory there is not an option to create a datacenter object.

a.p.: That's what I though. I am going to try and upgade everything to five. I had some new webservers come in today so I will surely put 5 on those.

So far everyone's answers have been helpful. I've been learning this on the fly but am getting real training in the next couple of months. Till then I rely on your brains and experience. Does anyone one know what I should do to be able to create a datacenter object since it is not there as an option for me?

Thanks again guys

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Use the vSphere Client and connect to the vCenter Server instance (not the ESXi host). There you can create the datacenter by right clicking the vCenter Server in the inventory.

André

0 Kudos
gm7zach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, sitting right in front of my face. Thanks Andre. And thanks to everyone else. Everyone had great answers for me I wish I could award more points, lol.

Thanks again guys.

0 Kudos