VMware Cloud Community
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter error "Call ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent for object ServiceInstance on Server failed"

Hello,

I'm having issue every 3/4 hours connecting to my vCenter 5 server (last patch, on Windows 2008 R2 as a VM, last Microsoft Security Patch Installed).

The behaviour is that who has already the vSphere Client opened, cannot do anything (for example, no Console to the VM or no edit settings) but if somebody tries to log on via vSphere client receive the following error:

Untitled.jpg

the complete message is "Call ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent for object ServiceInstance on Server vcenterserver.domain.com  failed"

The only way to solve this issue is to restart the vCenter Server service on Windows. I've an opened support case but no success at the moment. The main issue is that everything that work with vCenter fails (for example, Netbackup backup, Veeam Replica and so on).

Somebody who has already faced this issue?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sangepu
Contributor
Contributor

I too have this issue, did the problem resolved? any fix?

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

in my case was due to multiple logon failure that some application was trying to do....

Due to password change of the Domain vmware account (the one that you use to startup the vCenter Server service), one application could not logon to vCenter in order to collect informations and so on (in my case was Veeam nWorks that was flooding the vCenter).

Please check the events at "datacenter" level on your vCenter

0 Kudos