VMware Cloud Community
JoeAtJefferies
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter database Converting from SQL to Oracle. Possible?

Currently we are running our vCenter database on a SQL 2005 server but most move the database Oracle for db licensing reasons.  VMware doesn't seem to have any actual document that outlines the steps.  I think it may involve a lot more than just creating a new DSN and converting the database with the tools Oracle comes with.

Has anyone done this before?  I have more than 75 ESX hosts, 600 VMs and a lot of custom permissions for user access.  I cannot create a new database and manually migrate.

Thanks
Joe

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I know this has been done before - have a look at this thread - should help you some:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1267083

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
JoeAtJefferies
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I know the database can me converted just like any other database can.  My dba's will do that stuff.  My question is, will vcenter be happy when it looks at the new DSN (I'll use the same name for the DSN) now using Oracle.  I know the database gets formatted and all the tables created upon initial install, but it will not happen now as it's being carried over.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Hi Joe,

You may need to point vCenter to your new DSN.  This is easy enough.

First make sure the vCenter service is not running.

Then go to registry and browse to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> VMware, Inc. -> VMware VirtualCenter -> DB

You will see 1,2,3,4,5.  Change them as follows

1. Should be the name of your ODBC Connection name.

2. This is your oracle username you use.

3. This is for your password.  We can generate a hashed version of your password later, so don't touch.

4. This is the ODBC driver.  You should change it from "SQL Native Client" or whatever it is to "Oracle"

5. This is the version.  You should be able to leave this.

Now in cmd prompt run C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\vpxd.exe -p

Enter your Oracle password.

Now start your service.  If it starts correctly then all is well.

I have recently moved from Oracle to MSSQL 2008R2.  I opted to create a new vCenter server and migrate all of my data using PowerCLI scripts.  I feel this is a bit cleaner.

0 Kudos
MikeN7495
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joe,

Were you successful in converting your VCenter database from SQL to Oracle?

Mike

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

MikeN7495 wrote:

Hi Joe,

Were you successful in converting your VCenter database from SQL to Oracle?

Mike

It's not possible, structures are totally different.. even if someone COULD feasible get it to work, I wouldn't trust it.  SQL and Oracle are completely different even Oracle treats some things differently.. like indexes.

So you can't convert from SQL to Oracle or vice versa.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

It is possible and there is utilities to perform the conversion. ^ ^ ^

Would I go through all the work to get a database that you can't fully trust.  No way.  But it is possible.

If vCenter is not reliable, then the whole platform is not reliable.

0 Kudos
MikeN7495
Contributor
Contributor

Can you let me know why you think the database couldn't be fully trusted after the conversion from SQL to Oracle.

0 Kudos