VMware Cloud Community
rommelh23
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter as a VM Problem

Hi Experts,

I recently setup an vSphere cluster with 2 R710 ESXi5 hosts (DELL custom installer, not yet patched) with a DELL PS4000 Equallogic SAN. The vCenter server is a VM with Windows 2008 R2 OS (SQL 2008 was used since there was no available DB). HA and DRS is configured. Everything is running well until tonight when one of the local IT guys shutdown the host where vCenter server is located. I configured alarming and did received the not responding alarm from vCenter. The HA kicked in and the vCenter VM was restarted on to the other host. But the problem is now I cannot connect to it. It its not responding, no pings, and the console is ridiculously slow that I can't even login. the other VM (also Windows 2008 R2) is responding to ping and i can RDP to it (although console is also slow).

I have tried rebooting the vCenter VM and the ESXi host but the issue remains. But strangely I still keep on receiving the vCenter Not Responding alerts. Anyone know how do i proceed to troubleshoot this?

Appreciate the response!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

How many VMs total are running on the two nodes? Are any other VMs having these same issues or just the vCenter VM?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Connecting to the host that is  running the vCenter server with the vSphere client and access the vCenter VM and check if you can access network resources through that VM - Also confirm the networking is set up correctly on the second host - both the vSwitches as well as the physical switch it connects to -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rommelh23
Contributor
Contributor

theres just 2 VMs, the vCenter server and another one. Both windows 2008 R2. Its just the vCenter Vm that is having the issue.

0 Kudos
rommelh23
Contributor
Contributor

Networking is fine since the vCenter VM and the other VM are on the same vlan.

0 Kudos