VMware Cloud Community
WLSITGuy
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter and update Manager

Hello all,

I have Vcenter 5.1 running on a WIndows 2008 R2 server.  Now when I log into Vcenter Web Client none of the VMHost machines show up.  Am I missing something as to how to add the hosts?

Also, when I try an install Update Manager I get: Setup failed with an unknown error. vCenter Server credentials could not be validated.  I have found some threads in the Community that say to change the temp locations or use simple passwords but neither of those options fix anything.

Please Help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is the Windows machine member of a domain? Does the user you used to login to the Web Client have permissions on the vCenter objects?

André

0 Kudos
WLSITGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have it set up to use Windows Creds.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, so which account do you use to login and did you ever add the hosts to the vCenter Server environment?

Regarding the Update manager issue, can you confirm you followed VMware KB: Update Manager fails to install with error: vCenter Server credentials could not be valid...?

André

0 Kudos
WLSITGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - I followed that KB article.

I just installed today and I have only used the admin@system-domain account that is created for Vcenter

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The recommended way to install the Windows version of vCenter Server is to install it on a Windows Server which is a member of a Windows domain. Once installed you may configure permissions for the vCenter Server object, create a Datacenter and Cluster (if wanted/needed) and add the hosts. Did you already do this?

André

0 Kudos
WLSITGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the current setup.  Stand alone box running Windows 2008 R2 Server joined to the domain.  Vcenter installed using Vcenter simple install.  I then went to install Update Manager.

I did not change any permissions.  I have two VMHosts that are running vSphere 5.0

Not sure if that helps in any way.

0 Kudos