VMware Cloud Community
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter adding and removing NIC

I have removed the NIC from my vcenter server because I was having some network issues with that server, now when I try to add a new one the network label drop down is blank? I am using 5.1 with vDS. I am logged into the host and everything looks ok. suggestions?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi willstej83,

Can you tell us about the networking setup?  (i.e. how many NICs and how they are assigned).  Perhaps a screenshot from the networking page might help if in doubt.

Basically what we will have you do is "steal" a NIC from the bundle that makes up the guest network.  Then add that NIC to a vStandard Switch (may need to add the VLAN ID if you use 802.1q tagging).  Then you can flip the vCenter VM (from Edit Settings) over to the temporary port group you create on the VSS.  Once your VC starts pinging again, you can just flip the vNIC back to the appropriate DVS portgroup (no additional reboot required).  Then flip the VSS pNIC back to the DVS.

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My mgmt network on the vDS had two NICs, so I removed one from the vDS and then created a new vkernal port in the vSS. Gave the kernel and IP address, I have verified that I can ping the address. So then I went into the settings of my vcenter server, added a NIC and still the network label drop down is blank.

Capture22.PNGCapture33.PNGCapture12.PNG

0 Kudos
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello willstej83,

You don't have to create a vmkernel port group. The nic that you removed from the management, use it to create a virtual machine port group on a new VSS. The right click on your vCenter server and edit settings. Go to network adapter and from the drop down, select the new VM Port Group that you created. Your vCenter will be back on the network. After that you can edit it again and set it to the original port group on your vDS and add the pNIC back to the management network.

Thanks

AG

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree with asrarguna that this should be a VM only network (not vmkernel, so don't check the box).  My recommendation was to take a NIC from the current bundle that makes up the VM guest network (as opposed to mgmt.).  Removing/re-adding ESXi host management NICs could cause a blip on the host (i.e. false isolation event).  Since you are moving around what seems to be a mgmt. NIC, you might consider unchecking the "Enable Host Monitoring" setting on the cluster while working on this issue.  To do so, right-click the cluster, then navigate to Edit Settings > vSphere HA > Enable Host Monitoring, then uncheck the box for "Enable Host Monitoring".  Failure to do so may cause an HA event.

Also, you should consider using the vmxnet3 adapter.  Anything else is a risk (there are known issues with the e1000 and e1000e).  Looking at the screenshot, I see all vNICs have been removed from this VM and you are adding a new vNIC.  Make it vmxnet3 and log in locally to set the IP address on this vCenter VM.  Once connected and pingable, flip it back to the proper DVS port group.

PS - Nice 40Gb NICs!  Are you running the new Nexus 9k's?

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nexus 5548 with UCS Blade chassis!

Ok so vCenter is pinging again....but when I go to edit the NIC, only the network label for the vSS is showing?

0 Kudos
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It should show you the vDS port group. Anyways try "virtual machine migration wizard" to migrate the vCenter VM over to vDS.

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is virtual machine migration wizard?

0 Kudos
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vSphere 5.1

Clcik this link and follow the article.

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cant login to vCenter so that's out.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is the vCenter DB on the same or a remote VM?  You may need to perform the same VSS work-around for the DB VM as well.  If both the VC and the DB are pingable, then you can either reboot the VC, or restart the SSO service, then restart the vCenter Server service (vpxd).  Basically, from services.msc on the vCenter OS, your vCenter service will need to be running before you see the VDS port groups from the drop down.

0 Kudos
willstej83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Remote VM, can ping it from the vcenter server just fine. I rebooted the vcenter server just to make sure. still nothing. I think my SSO is messed up...how can I verify this? SSO is the worse VMware technology ever created!

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeah on 5.1, SSO is rough (much better in 5.5).  Will the SSO service not start?  If not, vpxd definitely won't run.  Is SSO on the same VM as the vCenter or remote?  If remote, rinse and repeat the VSS fix for that VM too.

To test your SSO (assuming the service is running) you can login as admin@system-domain using a web client pointed at the VC.  If the SSO service is not running (and won't start) you will need to dig through SSO logs and troubleshoot accordingly.  While your checking on these things please ensure that timesync is correct on all VMs that participate in the mgmt. solution (VC, DB, and SSO).

0 Kudos