VMware Cloud Community
JayScovill
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Web Client and "Use the Customization Wizard to temporarily adjust the specification before deployment" option

Has anyone else noticed that the option to "Use the Customization Wizard to temporarily adjust the specification before deployment" that exists in the C# client when deploying a machine from a template using the Customization Wizard is missing from the web client?

Has anyone else found that option as useful as I do to make one-off changes to a customization at deployment time that I don't want to save as a new customization?

Has anyone out there found an acceptable work around to this?  If it still hasn't made it into 5.5 I don't even think it's on their radar.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mc62956
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have also noticed it is gone and I use it for every VM I deploy from templates.

0 Kudos
PeterFaber
Contributor
Contributor

same here...

really annoying Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have notcied this as well.  No bueno.

0 Kudos
markdjones82
Expert
Expert

Has anyone found an answer for this?  Doesn't appear to be fixed in U1 either.

http://www.twitter.com/markdjones82 | http://nutzandbolts.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
boaterva
Contributor
Contributor

Or in 5.5U2!  And this is the only way we deploy VMs.   Looks like the vSphere client for us for a while longer!

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

The option is still not available in 6.0 U2 from what I can tell.  For the purposes of being able to adjust the spec to pick a different domain and have the person running the wizard enter their own credentials, rather than having to save a domain credential in the spec, this feature has been useful to us.  I have not noticed this feature is not in the Web client because until now because i have been doing most of my deployments from PowerCLI, but I caught this when visually troubleshooting an issue through the client.  Disappointing, it is a useful feature in the C# client.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
tzimmermann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still not fixed, 6.5 U1.

In my opinion, this should get a high prio. With 6.5 we can't use the C# Client anymore, and neither the Flash nor the HTML5 Client have this feature.

How am I supposed to deploy 5 VMs from the same template using the same specification, without all of them booting up and using the same IP? (I know, pCLI... I want to do it on demand using the GUI)

VMware, please hear us out!

VCP for vSphere 5 as of 24th of July 2012 🙂
0 Kudos
dvelkova
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

tzimmermannHave you considered configuring your specification o prompt the user for network settings when cloning/deploying VMs (Edit > Network > Manually select custom settings > Edit the selected adapter > IPv4/IPv6 > Prompt the user for an address when the specification is used)?

0 Kudos
JeremyHagan
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately this option doesn't allow you to specify the default gateway. Only the IP and the mask. Obviously the developer never worked in an environment with lots of different networks.

0 Kudos
operando
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not fixed in 6.5 U3. And the only way to get around this issue is to create a separate configuration template for each of the hundreds of VLANs with the “Prompt user” switch and the corresponding subnet mask / default gateway.

0 Kudos