ZeroGravity2011
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Web Client 6.0 u2 - Permissions intermittently being ignored

Jump to solution

Using vSphere vCenter Web Client 6.0 u2 with Active Directory users in a SSO Domain group.

I have Read Only on vSphere, Datacenter and Host and then Admin privileges on objects below. About daily, the users loses access to objects below the Host within the Web Client despite the permission still being set and the only way to resolve it so far is to re-apply permissions. Sometime removing and readding a single permission fixes all other permission issues.  This issue seems to only be present on the Web Client, the Windows Client continues to work with the the assigned permissions.

Any ideas what would cause this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Join the club: vCenter 6 'Empty Inventory' due to permissions

I've had this problem for a while. Even the new HTML5 web client fling has same issue (I guess it comes from vcenter, not the actual web client then). If you can get vmware to take this seriously and fix things that would be great. Short of adding read-only permissions all over the place (which I'm not sure if it will fix the problem) don't know what else we can do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Join the club: vCenter 6 'Empty Inventory' due to permissions

I've had this problem for a while. Even the new HTML5 web client fling has same issue (I guess it comes from vcenter, not the actual web client then). If you can get vmware to take this seriously and fix things that would be great. Short of adding read-only permissions all over the place (which I'm not sure if it will fix the problem) don't know what else we can do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ZeroGravity2011
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

0 Kudos
FlexpodVDIGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem with a new VCSA 6 U2 with PSC. The issue was DNS related. For example, my domain is VMWareIsgreat.com but for some reason, there is an alias VMWareIs resolving in the local system.

If I did not put the path VMwareIsgreat\vCenterSrv user account with just vCenterSrv. vCenter will resolve the user as VMwareIs\vCenterSrv and that cause the "empty inventory" when you login

Once I put the proper VMwareIsgreat\vCenterSrv user back in. the permission start working.

0 Kudos