VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Statistics Interval and Logging Options

I haven't looked at these settings in a while but we have recently built a new vSphere 5.1 environment so I thought I'd revisit and review . I have generally stuck with defaults modifying the 5 minutes statistics level to "2" (see attached). vCenter logging is set to "Information (Normal logging)". These seem sufficient for my needs but, I was curious if others have toyed with these settings and found advantages or disadvantages to modifying further.

I understand this is a more complicated calculus that varies depending on environment, requirements, resources, etc. but, I am just curious if there are strong opinions for an alternate configuration considered better than the defaults. Just trying to find the right balance of information and manageability. I currently don't have an active lab or I'd try different combinations myself.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Usually increasing the 5 minutes statistic is the one with most impact over the DB size/performance. If you have 1000 VMs / 50 ESX, this really may start impacting on the amount of data processed by the engine. Never saw/tried levels 3 and 4 in production environments.

A good example of need to increase this levels are when you have vCenter Chargeback, that needs to analyze disk statitics in order to be able to calculate some reports. Level 2 are ok for that, but the defaults to 1 will not allow this to happen, etc.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Usually increasing the 5 minutes statistic is the one with most impact over the DB size/performance. If you have 1000 VMs / 50 ESX, this really may start impacting on the amount of data processed by the engine. Never saw/tried levels 3 and 4 in production environments.

A good example of need to increase this levels are when you have vCenter Chargeback, that needs to analyze disk statitics in order to be able to calculate some reports. Level 2 are ok for that, but the defaults to 1 will not allow this to happen, etc.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Appreciate the reply and the note about Chargeback. We don't use it but hadn't considered it.