VMware Cloud Community
joemamasmac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Standard Upgrade/media download

Good Morning All,

I am in the process of planning my upgrade from Virtual Center 2.5 to 4.0. I am going to move from 1 server, to 2 linked servers in the next few weeks.

Server 1 Win 2003 (32bit) Existing Server

Server 2 Win 2008 (64-bit) NEW server

I know that I can't install 4.1 on the 32bit server and this will be upgraded in the next few months so I can move to 4.1 but the hardware won't support it at this time. First off, where can I find the vCenter Standard 4.0.1 installer? I have only seen the 4.1 installer available. Second, will it work to have these 2 servers with different OS's in linked mode in 4.0.1?

Second when I do the upgrade from 2.5 to 4.0 on the Windows 2003 server I will be using an existing database hosted on SQL 2000. I would like to do the upgrade in place, then migrate the database to another server running SQL 2005. Is this the way to go, or should I move the database to SQL 2005 first, then upgrade? Is there any documentation regarding moving the database?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Login to your account. Support & Downloads, Datacenter Products, VMware vCenter Converter

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/converter401/dGhiZHRwaGJ0QGg=

Detach database, move to new SQL server, attach, create correct ODBC entry, upgrade pointing to the created ODBC entry, keep existing database

Seb

joemamasmac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fantastic, that will help me with moving the database!

Any ideas on where I can get a download for 4.0.1 U2?

Joe

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And what is wrong with the link above?

It was the last one standalone available I believe

Seb

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
joemamasmac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seb,

I was looking for the link to vCenter as well. Yours was one of the ones I needed, thanks to all of you for your help!

Joe

0 Kudos