VMware Cloud Community
kongli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server (version 4) pricing and license

Hi,

I am trying to prepare a quote for two vSphere ESX v4 and one vCenter server.

We need VMotion and DRS. So I think we need at least enterprise edition (or higher) on ESX part.

For vCenter part, I was wondering whether I can use vCenter Server from the Essentials bundle ($995), or do I have to get vCenter Server Foundation ($1495)?

If I go with Essentials, I can get ESX standard edition and vCenter Server at a lower cost than vCenter Server Foundation. Can the vCenter in Essentials manage ESX enterprise edition?

Any cost saving possibilities are welcome. Thanks.

Kong

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Kong!

1. vCenter server from Essential cannot do VMotion nor DRS.

Yes.

2. vCenter Foundation can do VMotion and DRS (the difference between Foundation and regular is the limitation of 3 ESX hosts).

Yes.

3. If 3rd ESX is needed down the road, getting "Acceleration Kit" might be cheaper.

There is no Enterprise Acceleration Kit, only Enterprise Plus, so you need to compare quotes for EntPlus Kit vs. 3 Ent +vCenter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If VMotion is required then Essentials is not an option. You need at least Advanced (note - it includes VMotion, but not Storage VMotion)

If you plan to add 3rd ESX server in the future ask for a quote for VMware vSphere Advanced Acceleration Kit.

If not, your only option is (number of CPU per server)x2 ESX Advanced licenses + VCenter Foundation license.

0 Kudos
kongli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Vlad,

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that you meant

2. vCenter Foundation can do VMotion and DRS (the difference between Foundation and regular is the limitation of 3 ESX hosts).

3. If 3rd ESX is needed down the road, getting "Acceleration Kit" might be cheaper.

Since ESX Advanced edition does not have DRS, we have to go for ESX Enterprise edition.

Thanks again.

Kong

0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Kong!

Yes.

Yes.

There is no Enterprise Acceleration Kit, only Enterprise Plus, so you need to compare quotes for EntPlus Kit vs. 3 Ent +vCenter

0 Kudos
kongli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Vlad,

Thank you very much for the helpful info. One more question, you sound like Enterprise Plus include vCenter server. But on p.6 of , Enterprise Plus seems to be ESX only without vCenter...

Thanks again.

Kong

0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Kong,

Only Essentials/Essentials Plus bundles or Acceleration Kits (e.g. Enterprise Plus Acceleration Kit) include vCenter.

ESX Server's licenses (doesn't matter what edition) do not include vCenter.

Vlad.

0 Kudos
kongli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, got it. Thank you very much.

Kong

0 Kudos