VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

vCenter Server vCPU Sizing

I'm trying to determine how many vCPUs a virtualized vCenter would need based on the enviornment size.  Vmware gives some guidance here based on physical CPUs:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205233...

While that helps me know I should have at least as many vCPus as they specify for physical CPUs, it doesn't tell me how many vCPUs is too many. Unlike pCPUs, having too many vCPUs can cause a negative performance impact:

Virtual CPUs – The Overprovisioning Penalty of vCPU to pCPU ratios | ZDNet

Is there a guide for vCenter to show not now many physical CPUs but how many vCPUs you should add to a vCenter Server instance based on the size of the environment so I can take this factor into account?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Titanomachia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just enable hot-add for CPUs, it disables vNUMA but you won't need that. If you're worried of committing too much resource you can start small and monitor it. What is the size of the environment and host cpus?

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Thanks for your reply.  I don't think I want to hotadd vCPUs to vCenter on Windows 2012 while its in production.

0 Kudos
Titanomachia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This may help. It depends on what services vCenter will be hosting and what logging level you use.

vSphere 5.5 | BP.Performance.10 | Right-size vSphere - Data Center Dan

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the input.  The minimums seem to have a lot of info on them, but not the maximum vCPUs.

0 Kudos