VMware Cloud Community
vCommunity
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server v5 - Unable to delete Orphaned replicaVM

PROBLEM: Unable to delete Orphaned VM (replica-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx (orphaned)

Suspect that root cause of the problem is: NFS datastore XYZ is in a INVALID state:

- NFS Datastore XYZ  is in *inactive* state AND is holding a reference to the orphaned replica VM
- Under Host & Clusters->Configuration->Storage, the STATUS is "Normal" for the inactive datastore
- Unable to delete or unmount this datastore
- Unmounting attempts to this datastore gives error:
-- Call "HostDatastoreSystem.RemoveDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-148" on vCenter Server "VCENTER" failed.
-- The resource 'XYZ' is in use.
vCenter Server Observations:
- Host & Clusters view --> "Remove from Inventory" grayed out
- VMs & Templates view --> does not show the orphaned VM
- Datastores & Datastore Clusters view shows the NFS  Datastore as (inactive)
- Verified that no datastore actually contains the above stated replica vm (through Browse datastore)
- vDS (Distributed switch) Port Group->Ports shows the same orphaned replica on a particular port.
- Unable to delete the avove vDS Port Group because of the orphaned VM linked to one of the dv ports
ESXi Host Observation:
- Logging directly into ESXi host, does NOT show the same orphaned replica VM
- SSH'd in, I can run esxcfg-nas -l does NOT list the XYZ NFS datastore.
** Interesting Tid-bit **
- NFS Datastore Host/Mount point:  nfsserver.mylabs.com:/media/nfsexport1
- As a troubleshooting step, I defined/added another NFS datastore using the the IP address instead of the hostname and the same mount point.
In other words, I have two NFS Datastores defined:
   1-- NFS Datastore Host/Mount point:  nfsserver.mylabs.com:/media/nfsexport1
   2-- NFS Datastore Host/Mount point:  10.16.10.10:/media/nfsexport1
Both Datastore show Normal for status.  Datastore-1 shows as inactive & is not browsable. Datastore-2 shows as active/normal & is browsable (ie: can see files/directories in it).
I've racked my brain on this for days to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

This seems to be more related to a View Composer Issue.  If so, have you seen the below article?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008704

0 Kudos