VMware Cloud Community
caustic386
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server service doesn't start after running Windows Updates

On a regular basis, my vCenter Server service fails to start after automatic windows updates are applied. The vCenter server is a 2008R2 Datacenter VM.

The only other apps running are PerfectDisk and ESET NOD32 agents - vCenter is at 4.1. I've tried setting the vCenter Server and WedAdmin service to Delayed Start, but that doesn't seem to make much difference. The following errors are displayed in the event log, which lead me to believe the issue is related to SQL:

SQL Server is not ready to accept new client connections. Wait a few minutes before trying again. If you have access to the error log, look for the informational message that indicates that SQL Server is ready before trying to connect again.

The description for Event ID 1000 from source VMware VirtualCenter Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Has anyone run into this before?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I haven't seen this, but the info in kb 1007669 might be useful.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I haven't seen this, but the info in kb 1007669 might be useful.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
caustic386
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Obviously I have to wait until the next few rounds of updates, but that does seem to directly address my issue. Surprising VMware doesn't automatically set this up for you when you choose to install SQL Express?

0 Kudos