VMware Cloud Community
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server is unable to find a Master vSphere HA Agent -- upgrade to vCenter 5.0

Hi all,

Upgrading to vCenter 5.0.   Have 6 ESXi 4.1 hosts in a Cluster.  I try to activate HA and get the following messages:

vCenter Server is unable to find a Master vSphere HA Agent in cluster XXX Cluster in XXX Datacenter

Insufficient resources to satisfy vSphere HA failover level on cluster XXX Cluster in XXX Datacenter

Anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to fix?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

Additional info:

On one of the ESXi host these are the messages on the Summary tab:

vSphere HA agent for this host has an error:  The vSphere HA agent is not reachable from vCenter Server

vSphere HA cannot be configured on this host because its SSL thumbprint has not been verified.  Check that vCenter Server is configured to verify SSL thumbprints and that the thumbprint for this host has been verified.

There was an error unconfiguring the vSphere HA agent on this host.  To solve this problem, connect the hosts to a vCenter Server of version 5.0 or later.

0 Kudos
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

With some help from VMware Technical Support, here's the resolve:

Turns out we are using locally signed SSL Certs.  Somehow the permissions for the rui.key were not what they were supposed to be.

On the ESXi host itself:

-r--------   rui.key

Changing the permission with the chmod go+r,u+rw,+t rui.key changes it to:

-rw-r--r-T

The ESXi host needs to be removed and then added back into the cluster. The ESXi host needs to be brought into vCenter manually by changing the settings in the vCenter Server Settings (Under Administration) - SSL Settings.  The vCenter requires verified host SSL certificates box needs to be unchecked and you need to validate/verify the SHA1 thumbprint of certificate with what's on the ESXi host console and check the Verified box. 

0 Kudos
ITMotivator
Contributor
Contributor

Spent a day trying to figure out resolution of SSL problem. Once I used this KB. I was able to quickly resolve everything for all 15+ hosts.

KB: 2006729

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200672...

1. After enabling "vCenter requires verified host SSL Certificates"

2. Clicked OK and then clicked on host. Host grey's out. Don't freak out. It's not shutting anything down. You will get an error message pop up. Just clear it and then click OK to the disconnect message. You will be prompted for the ESXi 5.0 Host password. Enter it.

3. Accept the SSL

4. Booyahhh done.

0 Kudos
AgeBorgund
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Had the same errors.

SSL sertificate failure and Cluster HA failure after upgrading to vCenter 5

Solution for me:

In vSphere Client -> Administration -> vCenter Server Settings -> SSL Settings: verify all host sertificates

This removed the SSL certificte error

In vSphere Client -> On a cluster -> right click -> Edit settings -> Turn off vSperhe HA -> OK

One error per server since this cannot be done

In vSphere Client -> On a cluster -> right click -> Edit settings -> Turn on vSperhe HA -> OK

This results in the HA client beeing installed on all hosts.

All warnings/errors was cleared after this.

Regards

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I got this same issue when building a new ESXi 5 cluster.

For me the issue was I had not given my ESXi hosts any datastores yet. This caused HA to fail since it uses datastores for heartbeat.

After I added 2 shared datastores to my cluster HA worked fine after disabling/reenabling it.

Rookie mistake..

0 Kudos
kabeer
Contributor
Contributor

Edit the Cluster Settings and disable the HA.

In vCenter VI client. Click on Administration and then click "vCenter Server Settings"

cick on SSL settings and remove click from "vCenter requires verified hosts SSL certificates" and verified all SSL servers below.

Open putty connect to ESXi host stop and start fdm.

#/etc/init.d/vmware-fdm stop

#/etc/init.d/vmware-fdm start

Edit the cluster setting again to Enable HA.

These steps resolved my issue.

Kabeer

0 Kudos