VMware Cloud Community
linuxmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Server crashed - how to reinstall and rejoin hosts

Hi to all,

we have two vSphere 5 hosts in HA cluster and 1 physical server with vCenter Server that manage it.

This server has the raid  failed and i need to reinstall everything.

Is there any issue to know about this job ? If i reinstall the vCenter on another machine and i re-create

the cluster by re-joining the two hosts, may i have problems ?

Is there a better way to do this ?

Thanks to all for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Was you vCenter DB also installed on the hardware that failed?  If so, you'll need to start over if you don't have a backup of the DB.  Starting from scratch is just that, you'll need to recreate your datacenter, clusters, permissions, resource pools, etc... From there you can "add host" back into vCenter.

If you have a backup of your vCenter DB, you can reinstall vCenter and use the existing DB and not lose anything, except maybe a some performance stats due to vCenter being down for a period of time.

iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Do you have a valid backup of your vcenter database? If so you could install vcenter on another server, pointing the installation at the database. You could then rejoin your hosts to that server.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
linuxmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the database was in the same machine. Ok, so the best way is to do a clean setup for everything, recreate datacenter and cluster and then, join the hosts to cluster and enable HA. Is it better to mantain same IP and Host Name for new vCenter ? I read that, if i change that parameters, it's necessary to edit some configuration files into the hosts.

Last question... may i have problems of license deactivation if i don't reinstall soon vCenter ?

Thank again.

0 Kudos