VMware Cloud Community
Ineedhelpbadly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Server SSO question

if I am installing a new instance of vcentre on a vm and want it to point to the site, do I fill in the site name in installation?  OR can I point to it when I have installed vcentre? I'd imagine I can logon to the site after install

site.PNGvspherer installation.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ineedhelpbadly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, after a bit of work, I have finally managed to get a new instance of vshpere working.  It has a new database.

I need to get all of my old infrastructure into my new vcentre.old instance.PNGvmware2.PNG

How do I go about doing this?  They're on the same network, I'm not sure if that helps, but different domains.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Ineedhelpbadly 
Somewhat ironically, your latest question is completely unrelated to your initial question and therefore probably deserves it’s own thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ineedhelpbadly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.  Again, I haven't gone to this level of depth before, I did the admin of VMs, a little troubleshooting and that was about it.

I have adopted an environment from someone that's left now and I am trying to make sense of what's happening and where everything is going.  I am trying to get my head around things on how they work and how I can implement the requirements of my company.  Things might change as I understand what that requirement is. 

If I knew what I needed to do, then I would just get on and do it.  I am not so much a VM guy, more like infrastructure.  My knowledge of anything more than the admin and build if VMs is very limited. 

I apologise for my lack of clarity, but again, I am trying my best to explain a situation that at the time I didn't or don't fully understand.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Ineedhelpbadly 

Moderator: Branched to a new thread in vCenter Server Discussions and edited the subject to reflect the issue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Ineedhelpbadly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, after a bit of work, I have finally managed to get a new instance of vshpere working.  It has a new database.

I need to get all of my old infrastructure into my new vcentre.old instance.PNGvmware2.PNG

How do I go about doing this?  They're on the same network, I'm not sure if that helps, but different domains.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @Ineedhelpbadly,

May I ask you which version of vCenter are you installing? The installer from the first screenshots looks quite old unless you have it on Windows. Remember that vSphere 6.0 is EOL so I recommend you to install at least 6.5 or 6.7 if possible.

However migrating the hosts and the VMs to a new vCenter is quite complex but it depends of what you have in your environment, for example, VDS, external solutions, etc.

If your environment only has hosts and you are not pointing any external solution then would be much easier than in the previous example, so please answer these questions:

• Do you use VDS?
    • In case you use, do you have Link Aggregation configured for the uplinks?
    • In case you use, do you have NFS or iSCSI as storage protocols configured?
    • In case you use, do you have vSAN?
  • Do you have any backup solution integrated with vCenter such as Veeam, BackupExec, Rubrik,etc?
  • Do you use any other external solution which sees vCenter as an endpoint, for example vRealize Operations or from third party.
  • What version are your hosts?
  • What version is your source and destination vCenter?
  • Do you use Update Manager?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Ineedhelpbadly 
Moderator: As you are now back to asking about your original issue please update that thread.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Discussions/URGENT-HELP-VM-migration-to-a-different...

Turning off comments on this thread.

0 Kudos