VMware Cloud Community
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Running On Server 2008 R2 yet?

Hi,

I'm shortly going to be looking at deploying vCenter 4 and moving all my VM's from 3.5 to vSphere but wondered if Server 2008 R2 is supported and working yet?

I've looked at the support matrix and it says Server 2008 but not R2 yet...

Hope someone's got the answer.

Regards

Dave.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As of vCenter 4.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 is supported as an OS where vCenter can be installed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The compatibility matrix is the definitive answer. So unfortunately 2008 R2 is still not support for vCenter.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it just the R2 portion that isnt supported yet or is it the x64 bit that isnt...

Also is there any date from VMWare yet as to when it will be supported?

Regards

Dave.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

R2.

From what i understand R2 is actually a different code base then 2008, so i would imagine it requires more in depth testing then a normal incremental upgrade.

2008 is based on Vista code base

2008 R2 is based on Windows 7 code base

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah...

That would make sense, I suppose I could install Server 2008 Std x64 and then upgrade to R2 later when it is supported...

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

FYI, we have been running a linked vCenter infra for 6 months on windows, 2008, 64bit (not R2) and it's been working fine. Target windows firewall first during any troubleshooting, I've had to open entries for say tomcat to SQL server that for some reason the install did not open. Are you going linked mode or stand alone?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 64 Bit is supported ( I use it myself )

Windows 2008 R2 is only available in 64 bit. There is no 32 Bit version.

Windows 2008 R2 is not supported as vCenter Server until now, but it's possible to install vCenter on R2 with a little workaround.

http://virtual.bist.be/?p=104

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've never heard of linked mode and stand alone mode...

What are they all about

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Linked mode is the first step in VMware moving vCenter towards a true federated, enterprise model platform. Linked mode became available in vCenter 4.0 and it allows you to "link" together multiple vCenter servers (I think limit now is 10) together. For example with Virtual Center 2.5 users in our environment had to log into different VC servers depending on what virtual resource they needed. This wasted time and caused confusion as much time was spent just finding the correct VC server to login to. With linked mode in 4.0 the user just logs into on place (any of the linked vCenter servers) and is presented with the entire infrastructure. The biggest gain is a centralized management gateway.

Linked mode is much more complex on the back-end and requires more time during troubleshooting problems.

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

W2K8 R2 is not a 'SUPPORTED' OS for vCenter Server. Does it work? Yes. Will VMware support you if you have problems? No. (they may help to a point but they are not obligated since its not supported on 4.0). vSphere 4.5 WILL fully support R2 and this has been confirmed by many VMware SE's. Also SQL 2008 R2 will be supported as a backend database.

Blog: www.virtualizationbuster.com

Twitter: s1xth

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As of vCenter 4.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 is supported as an OS where vCenter can be installed. http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
shirishh2712
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual center can be managed in two ways:

1. Standalone Mode

2. Linked Mode

in standalone mode only one VC is accessed and managed at a time.

Whereas in linked mode which is available in Vsphere 4.0 onwards, the administrator can access at max of 10 VC's at a time from a single VC window, and this makes managing multiple VC's convinient and also cheap.

Shirishh2712 VCP4.0 VTSP4.0 VSP4.0
0 Kudos
shirishh2712
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats perfectly correct, the VC is supported on server 2008, and not yet on latest server 2008 R2,

though it is possible to install VC on 2008 R2 with workaround(which i will post soon), but that is not supported by vmware as of now.

The best way is install on server2008 as of now and then patch it up with R2 in next month or so when it is officially supported by vmware.

Shirishh2712 VCP4.0 VTSP4.0 VSP4.0
0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As of vCenter 4.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 is supported as an OS where vCenter can be installed.

0 Kudos
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree with chouse.

0 Kudos