VMware Cloud Community
GREEMEBDO
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server Rename

Hi,

I have recently built a vCenter server with all available modules and plugins. My aim was then to clone it and then rename the clone to produce a second vCenter server for our DR site. I have managed to change the SQL reference as another knowledgebase artical suggested to get these to match:

after the name change run the following through query analyser

SELECT @@SERVERNAME, SERVERPROPERTY('ServerName')

they should both match the computername, if not run the sp_dropserver and sp_addserver stored procedures, reboot the SQL server and re check.

I also changed any references to the old name in vCenter Server Settings\advanced settings for the following:

VirtualCenter.InstanceName

VirtualCenter.VimApiUrl

VirtualCenter.VimWebServicesUrl

All seems to be working ok except I get this error when login on to vCenter:

There was an error connecting to vmware vcenter update manager - Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password

The name it is refering to is the other Production vCenter server

Also when looking at the plug-ins against vCenter Update Manager Extension it says: Plug-in is unavailable for the following server(s): DR-VC-HOSTNAME.xxxx.xxx

I have probably gone completely the wrong way about cloning the vcenter server but if anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve that would be great.

Regards

Graeme

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Try changing the hostname in vCenter server settings > RunTime settings > vCenter Server Name.

Hope this helps!

krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you have a clean template of winserver.

Deploy a new server from it, and install the vcenter new, it will be better so, and it does not take so long.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
GREEMEBDO
Contributor
Contributor

The runtime seting is already correct, due to time scales i think i will just build it from sratch, that way i know if I get an issues down the road it's not related to that.

Thanks for your advaice

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

You do not want ot have 2 identical vCenter managing 2 different ESX enviroments.

remember that your ESX hosts register themselves to the VCenter.

The fresh installation does not take long, so feel free to clone the OS, but DEFINITELY do the VCenter installation from scratch each time or you WILL run into trouble.

It is worth considering hostnig your VC on a VM and replicating the VM to your DR site at file level - then using one C to manage all ESX hosts. In the event of disaster, you'll need to import the VC on one of the hosts in the DR site, make the relevant IP cahnegs and you can continue as before.

you only need the VC for management / VMotion etc . . HA etc can continue to function without it . . and using 1 VC makes it easier to manage as you can move VMs between sites etc.

In vSphere you'll be able to link VC into one console

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos