VMware Cloud Community
garethtex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server - Rename config files and move datastore

Our VMware vCenter Server (4.1.0) is a VM. The vCenter Server database is stored on an SQL server that is also a VM. The vCenter Server config files and one vmdk file are located on one datastore and the other vmdk file is located on another datastore. This is not an issue, however the parent folders that store these files have different names and do not reflect the name of the vCenter Server VM. Also the config file names are different to the vmdk file names. I would like to move and rename all the config files and vmdk files of my vCenter Server to another datastore so that the parent folder that stores all the files has the same name as my vCenter Server VM and all the files within the folder reflect the name of my vCenter Server VM.

What would be the best way to achieve this? Could I install the standalone converter on the vCenter Server and migrate the server? I have a vCenter Server Standard license. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

like above, use storage vmotion if possible else you will need to use vmware converter ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The solution is a storage migration, but in your case you cannot use the cold mode (it require vCenter) and (due to license limitation) you cannot use Storage vMotion.

VMware Converter could be a solution. But also clone could be a simple solution (the DB is on another VM, so you can make a hot clone of your vCenter).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

like above, use storage vmotion if possible else you will need to use vmware converter ...

0 Kudos
garethtex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
garethtex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.