vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  vCenter Server Open Source

Posted Feb 01, 2011 09:49 PM

I would really like to try/explore the Linux vCenter that 'supposedly' exists.  However, from the downloads section, one can only find the source code.  There is no documentation (that I can find), Nor can I find an installer of any kind.  I dont even see a virtual appliance for it. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

• 2.  RE: vCenter Server Open Source

• 3.  RE: vCenter Server Open Source

Posted Feb 01, 2011 10:10 PM

Not exactly, but I haven't seen that page, so thanks for linking it. 

In the downloads section, If you select 'VMware vCenter Server 4.1 and modules,' then choose 'Related Open Source,' you will see these listings...

OSS Source Code for vCenter Server 4.14.12010/07/13Download
    vCenter Server 4 .1 Open Source Licenses4.12010/07/13Download

This is implying that there is a vcenter 4.1 for linux... the community page you linked only talks about vcenter 2.5 and has many posts discussing 'wanting' it for vsphere 4. 

Anyway,  thanks again though, and if you or anyone else have further input, that would be fantastic.

• 4.  RE: vCenter Server Open Source
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 02, 2011 06:53 AM

There isn't an OpenSource version of vCenter Server.

What you see are the OpenSource part (like tomcat) used in vCenter Server.

But are not enought to make a working (ad free) vCenter on Linux.

There are some project to make a port to Linux (note that this not mean that it will be Free Software or full OpenSource). But I'm under NDR for next products so I cannot tell more yet.

Andre

• 5.  RE: vCenter Server Open Source

Posted Feb 02, 2011 07:01 AM

at least i know that i would save a windows license just to run vcenter. :smileysilly: