VMware Cloud Community
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Install Question

Hello Fellow IT Professionals,

My question is based on 1 particular step in the vCenter install. The part of the install I have a question about is the destination directories. During this step it gives you the chance to use the default directory or change the directory that the vCenter Server is installed in. Then right below it is the option to change the directory that the data for the vCenter Server is installed too. My question is when it says data does it mean the virtual machines? I ask because I have limited space to work with for the vCenter server alone. If the data for the vCenter Server means virtual machine vhd's then I can change that to a SAN that has at least 5-6TB worth of space.

Manuel Cruz Network Administrator
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

The vCenter Servers does not allocate any virtual machine inside of drives.

It mean data of vCenter installation only. You will point where the vm will be stored when you create a new virtual machine (normally on Storage)

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

The vCenter Servers does not allocate any virtual machine inside of drives.

It mean data of vCenter installation only. You will point where the vm will be stored when you create a new virtual machine (normally on Storage)

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your fast reply Mauro, this is a huge help.

0 Kudos
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mauro,

If you would humor with one more answer I would be eternally grateful. I've installed the vCenter Server last year without issue on the same machine. The only change this time around is that with your info and my past install I changed the directory location to my 15k local server drives vs. my SAN. After uninstalling the vCenter I installed it as a fresh install. After the install completed I don't see the full list of services that came with the last install. On the last step of the install I attempt to view the server via the web client and it doesn't even resolve. I installed the local client on the server to see if I can connect that way and no cigar either. Should I go thru the install media and manually install the service via there msi files? As always I appreciate your help. I attached a screenshot of the local installed client error screen.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

all services are started ?

this vcenter was corretly cadastred on DNS with FQDN ?

it can be useful VMware Training - VMware vSphere 5 - Installing vCenter Server - YouTube

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2003790

0 Kudos
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached is a picture of the list of services initially installed with the software. I remember a lot more of these in the past. All but one service is running.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

can you start VMware identity managment service ?

0 Kudos
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get an error, I attached a picture of the error response.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

try get logs:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMWare\vCenterServer\logs

vpxd.log

and SSO log.

0 Kudos
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I couldn't find that exact UNC path but I found 2 folders that are similar to what your asking. I zipped both of them up and attached them for you.

0 Kudos
ManuelCruz3288
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the folders you were referring too. Those folders however didn't have any log files in it. Looks like no log files where never made in this directory.

0 Kudos