VMware Cloud Community
ElioteArg
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server 4 and VMware Server 2.0.2 ports "conflict"

Hello VMware community!

I'm having a problem related to VMware Server 2.0.2 and vCenter Server 4. I have a server with Windows Server 2003 R2 and SP2 x64 Enterprise with 6Gb RAM. I first installed VMware Server using default ports and after that I installed vCenter Server, changing port 80 to port 90 and leaving the others as given by default.

PROBLEM:

If I start "VMware Server Web Access" service and "virtualcenter management webservices" (in that order), after some minutes the "virtualcenter management webservices" stops unexpectedly. I also have Converter Standalone installed, but I think this is not the problem, because before installing it, this issue already existed.

I do not know what to do. I already looked for this problem with no success.

Please, I need somebody help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

way to much going on within this Host OS. My suggestion is to build vCenter on it's on Host OS, VMware Server on it's on Host OS, and run the standalone client from your desktop/laptop of another workstation that is not vCenter.

I don't use VMware Server, so I can't comment on it, but I do know that your can't use vCenter4 to manage any of your hosted Server guests. vCenter is used to manage ESX(i) and it's guests.

0 Kudos
ElioteArg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! Thanks for your answer.

I think I should have been more specific: I have VMware Server 2.0.2 and vCenter Server on the same Host OS and I know that vCenter doesn't monitor VMware Server Virtual Machines, but that's not my problem actually. You may be right about not having Converter Standalone on the same host. Apart from that, when it wasn't already installed, the problem existed.

I want to manage vCenter Server through WebServices. The problem is that the corresponding service terminates after some minutes (2, 3 minutes) of having started, and I couldn't find the solution yet. I think it has to do with ports conflict, but as I remember, I didn't use ports which could be conflictive (don't know if that term is correct. I speak Spanish really, not English.)

0 Kudos
bellopao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can modify port for VMware Server 2

1) Modify tomcat port 8005 to 8006

edit the file  C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Server\tomcat\conf\server.xml

<Server port="8006" shutdown="SHUTDOWN"> .... modify this from 8005 to 8006

2) Modify port 902 to 9902 on file config.ini located in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Server\    (For Windows 2008) or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Server  (For Windows 2003)

edit the file config.ini

authd.port = "9902"       ....... add this line
authd.client.port = "9902"  .... modify this from 902 to 9902

Now service "VMware Server Web Access" and "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" are no more in conflict.

0 Kudos