VMware Cloud Community
NeonSurge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server 4.1 on Windows 2008R2

I've recently deployed vCenter Server 4.1 (build 258902) on Windows 2008R2. I'm trying to deploy a number of new VMs (all Windows Server 2003R2 guests) from existing templates using some pre-prepared customiztion specifications. When I get to the Guest Customization screen in the Deploy Template wizard I'm seeing the message "Windows customization resources were not found on the server".

There are numerous articles, blog and forum posts out there explaining how to configure sysprep on vCenter Server but none which deal with 2008R2 and this is a problem because 2008R2 has a different folder structure to previous versions of Windows.

I have my templates. I have my customization specifications. Sysprep is present where it should be in 2008R2 by default (C:\Windows\System32\sysprep). How do I bring all this together to successfully deploy VMs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you have all the sysprep files downloaded and placed into their proper folders on your vCenter Server?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you have all the sysprep files downloaded and placed into their proper folders on your vCenter Server?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sysprep is present where it should be in 2008R2 by default

You need to go back and re-read the Sysprep specially for Windows 2008. That sysprep folder is IF you want to sysprep that MACHINE, not to deploy VM's. So in the VI setup guide for VM's it specially tells you every folder, even for Windows 2008, on where to place the sysprep.

It's in Appdata. But it tells you EVERY step. Also some OS require sysprep FROM the CD that OS was installed, not the CURRENT sysprep version in that folder.

XP for instance will ONLY work with a particular version of sysprep.

NeonSurge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, thanks guys, all sorted now. A combination of hidden folders (doh!) and a misreading of the documentation.

0 Kudos
pie8ter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.1

vCenter 4.1.0 on windows 2008 R2 x64

I am trying to convert a VM with the windows 2008 R2 x64 to a template and deploy VMs from it.

According to this KB ,

*"Windows Server 2008 R2

System Preparation tools are built into the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system and do not have to be downloaded."*

Sysprep directory: N/A

Sysprep version: N/A

So there is nothing to download or copy files to a specific folder in the vcenter server. Do I still need to move the sysprep files from C:\windows\system32\sysprep folder to a folder in vcenter? vCenter doesn't have a folder for windows 2008 server.

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep doesn't have win2008 folder. Should I create it?

Please tell me if I am wrong with these steps:

1) Create a VM, install windows 2008 R2 x64, make the necessary changes.

2) Shut the VM and convert it to a template.

3) Create a VM from the template

4) Use the customization wizard to customize installation prompts (Create SID, computer name, etc)

5) When I boot the VM and login, I immediately get the "Location is not found. c:\windows\system32\systemprofile\desktop is not available..."

Thanks

0 Kudos
TomP1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've got the same questions in relation to 2008R2. I don't see a folder for sysprep and the way I read the doco it shouldn't be needed. However, an earlier post implies that it is needed. Can someone clarify?

0 Kudos