VMware Cloud Community
KKrtz
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter - SSL and DNS alias

Hello.

After my first installation of the vCenter 4 I want to do the following customizations:

1. Use an DNS Alias (e.g. vc.mycomp -> host123.mypcomp) for the clients

2. Change the default SSL certs to my own CA

I've already found an doc for the SSL but not for using an alias ?

In my testlab I've done these steps but there were some unexpected erros on the plugins and performance charts ....

Thanks for your help

K

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sean_D
Contributor
Contributor

We are running into a similar issue. We setup a CNAME in DNS, and created a new SSL cert for the CNAME and installed it. We followed VMware's docs for that and got everything working. However, whenever we try to use the search, view the overview section of the performance tab, or hardware status on a host, we receive a SSL cert error. In particular, the cert error makes it looks like the client is being redirected to an ssl port on host123.mycomp even though the client was told to connect to vc.mycomp.

We're running vCenter 4.0u2.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd love to hear it. It seems like a common need that most people would have, so its odd that its not working.

0 Kudos
Sean_D
Contributor
Contributor

I did find a fix for this. Under vCenter Server Settings select Advanced Settings. Scroll down until you see the settings 'VirtualCenter.VimApiUrl' and 'VirtualCenter.VimWebServicesUrl' The setting for each of them is a URL that includes the hostname of your vCenter server. If you change the hostname portion to the CNAME/DNS alias, then you should clear up the SSL cert errors.

Note, we restarted vCenter after making the change, but I don't know if that step is required or not.

0 Kudos