VMware Cloud Community
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Roles for "Send Ctrl_Alt_Del"

I recently performed an upgrade of my Virtual Center 2 server to vSphere vCenter and now a custom role I setup for my application analysts has lost the ablity to use the VM>Guest>Send CtrlAltDel menu option. The option is now greyed out for them.

They are still able to use the CtrlAltInsert keyboard command, but I was wondering what permission I need to assign them in vCenter to re-enable this menu option.

In Virtual Center 2 this functionality was fine and the menu option was available to them

Thanks!

P.S. The Administrator role is able to use this menu option just fine so the VM is ok and the VM tools are up to date as well as the virtual Hardware.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware support confirmed that this is a known bug and the workaround is what I did in the previous post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to vCenter Server forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

Additional Information:

RDP is still everyones default remote access method. This role was provided to allow these users an alternate method incase RDP is not functioning, there are network issues, the server has stopped responding, etc. Since these users were accustomed to having physical hardware they could go to and power off and on or open a direct console to as necessary. The same functionality needed to be provided in VMware.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can do the following:

Create a new role with "Console Interaction" privilege and assign this to all the users. This privilege is available under: Virtual Machines--> Interaction --> Console Interaction.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

-Sandeep

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep that right is part of the original role. I removed it and added it back I will see if that helps...

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having this same issue after upgrading from VC 2.5 to vCenter 4 but the "console interaction" is checked. I tried unchecking and rechecking but the "Send ctrlaltdel" is still greyed out for my users in that role. Has anyone else had this issue?

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I still have this issue. Console Interact does not allow you to use the "CtrlAltDel" from the menu, you are forced to use "CtrlAltInsert" within the VM.

0 Kudos
Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found a workaround that seems to be working. I gave that group read only to the cluster at the host/cluster view and now from an open console session, VM>Guest>Send ctrlaltdel works. I'm going to open a SR with Vmware.

Randy_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware support confirmed that this is a known bug and the workaround is what I did in the previous post.

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Randy_B, it's good to hear it is a confirmed issue and not just me losing my mind!

0 Kudos