VMware Cloud Community
baronfunke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Resource Pool Configuration Question

Hello, all - I've done some surface searching for this topic but was unable to find anything, so I thought I would ask:

Is there a way to give a VM less physical RAM than the VM sees?

Backstory is I'm sure familiar to more than one of you: SQL DBA insists that his VM needs X amount of RAM, when if I look at the performance of the VM, it is only using Y, even over the course of a year.  Since he's asking for a significant chunk of our hosts' available RAM, I'd like to pull it back to something more manageable than it is currently.  It's been a while since I covered it in the class, but I seem to remember being able to do what I'm trying with resource pools, I'm just not as well-versed as I probably should be with them...

Thanks.

EDIT: So far I have created a pool and added just that VM, then set a Limit under the Memory section to the amount I know it needs, but I guess I'm not sure if vCenter will see it as that much when trying to automated vMotion or if it will still treat it as the original amount of RAM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

yes VIClient just click on Edit Settingson the virtual machine, go to the resources tab, highlight memory, uncheck unlimited and then set a limit = to the actual RAM you want assigned to the machine by the hypervisor and not what the OS thinks it has.

In the Web Client select edit settings, hit the drop down for Memory and make the same change.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

yes VIClient just click on Edit Settingson the virtual machine, go to the resources tab, highlight memory, uncheck unlimited and then set a limit = to the actual RAM you want assigned to the machine by the hypervisor and not what the OS thinks it has.

In the Web Client select edit settings, hit the drop down for Memory and make the same change.

0 Kudos