VMware Cloud Community
panwjeffh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Recent Tasks - Flooded with Port Group Messages

I recently migrated to Virtual Distributed Switches. Ever since then, the 'Recent Tasks' section in the vSphere Client on vCenter displays the following message:

Look up portgroup based on portgroup key - target name X

This message is displayed every few seconds and is causing very high CPU utilization on the vCenter Server Appliance (6.7.0.42000). I searched around and was unable to find anything that would tell me the reason this is happening.

The value for the target name varies depending on the portgroup in question.

• Does anyone know what is causing this event?
  • Is this a normal function?
  • Did I misconfigure something in vDS?
  • If it's a normal function, is this incredibly high-frequency of occurrences expected behavior?
  • How can I mitigate/eliminate this to alleviate the overhead imposed on VCSA?

I only have 2 ESXi servers in the environment:

One server running 6.7.0 - 13981272

One server running 6.5.0 - 13932383

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
panwjeffh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I finally figured out the cause of this issue. I had a plug-in installed on a 3rd party product that connected to VCSA to poll for interface stats. Once I disabled the plug-in, the messages stopped.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have never seen such messages so I don't think it's normal. What is the user of those tasks? Maybe a script someone is running?

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
panwjeffh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I finally figured out the cause of this issue. I had a plug-in installed on a 3rd party product that connected to VCSA to poll for interface stats. Once I disabled the plug-in, the messages stopped.

0 Kudos