VMware Cloud Community
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Performance slowing to unusable.

Here is an observation on vCenter thus far.

I am running v Center on VM Win2008 64bit (R1) Dual CPU 4GB RAM as per VM doc, MS SQL 2005 on TIN.

It's been ok but some times sluggish, today however the system slowed to the point of unusable, could not connect to VC via client or Web access.

Server restarted and after a few hours it came back in a fashion but terribly slow.

Looking at the system the CPU's were ticking along very nicely ~ 2-3 % on the MS counter.

Looking at processes however the Tomcat service is eating more than 1/2 gig. I have shut down the VMware Virtual Center Management Webservices (vctomcat) and this has dramatically increased the performance of the vCenter services, to better that just after install. I should note we have been running the new vCenter for about 5 ish weeks now.

This is not the only bug we have found but by far the most pressing and annoying.

Are there configuration items in tomcat we can change? is anyone else having these issues?

Stopping this service obviously prevents Web Access but I can live with that short term, and the Performance summary page which is nice is also Dependant upon this too.

Why can't vCenter use IIS? ok stupid question I guess but it comes with the OS and vCenter only installs on Windows anyhow....

I'm not used to TomCat config but will keep looking but if anyone has any pointers your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope if you are having trouble with performance this may help.

Edit - Have also discovered that the Search functionality in vCenter is also affected. error dialog pops up - Login to the query service failed. thisis a little more pressing now.

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
1 Reply
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok looks like I have managed to resolve the issues.

Not having a DBA is hurting.

I performed a Defrag of the Database and performance has improved.

If your SQL database is fragmented, and I'm not talking file fragmentation here, VMware has some referances to database maintenance below

Defrag Index tables

I am also going to cull the database more info here Purge Data

I hope this may help someone

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos