VMware Cloud Community
mattrgee
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter / NetApp wrong initiator group OS type

Hi all,

vCenter reports that the OS type for an initiator group within NetApp is incorrect when trying to mount a snapshot.  Sure enough, the OS type has been incorrectly configured as Windows instead of VMware.  The initiator group is being used to mount a datastore against 3 ESX hosts, the datastore is used by a number of VM to store their D:drive VMDKs.

Will changing the OS type of the initiator group cause the storage to disconnect/blip from the ESX hosts?

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Matt..

Im no a wiz at NetApps, but AFAIK you can't change the OS type for the initiator group once the LUN is created...  The OS type selected aligns the LUN with the file system which will be put on it once created.

So changing this on-the-fly seems a no-no... You might have to create a new LUN and move your data, unless you want to stick with a unaligned LUN..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Wscholz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the igroup you can change the OS type after creation but you can´t change it on the lun itself. The question is, if you do that will it be disruptive. I have never done it myself but i have heard from people who did that it did not disrupt anything but if you want to play it safe schedule a maintenance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found my answer useful please consider marking it as "correct" or "helpful". Thanks a lot
0 Kudos