VMware Cloud Community
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Licensing Issue

Hello all, last night my vCenter server froze and I had no choice but to do a hard shutdown/power off. When I powered the server back on, the VirtualCenter service would not start. After poking around, I realized that something was listening on port 80 which was stopping the service from starting.

My big problem is that along the way I ran the wrong vpxd switch and re-created the database repository. I have no backup of the database and when I logged into the vCenter server with my client, nothing was there in the inventory, etc. However, vCenter still seems to know what licenses I have.

Luckily, this is a lab environment that noone is using yet.

So, when I try to re-add one of my hosts, it works, BUT, the host is in evaluation mode. I cannot apply any of my licenses to it as vCenter shows them as having 0 capacity.

How do I go about resetting the licenses back to normal? I know blowing away vCenter itself won't do the trick. Do I need to blow away the database? Do I need to blow away my hosts and set them up again from scratch?

Please help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
spraggab
Contributor
Contributor

The hosts also think they're in evaluation mode when connecting to them directly.

I can add the license to them when connecting directly, but as soon as I add them back to vCenter, they are in evaluation mode and the license keys are all used up.

Also, this is a vSphere environment with no license server.

0 Kudos
brenko
Contributor
Contributor

In version 4, I believe that the license information is maintained in vCenter, thus if you remove vCenter completely and the database associated with it, you will be able to add your license file back into the NEW installation of vCenter, and then deploy it.
Ben

Ben
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have a look at this assuming your are running vCenter 2.5

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006561

0 Kudos