VMware Cloud Community
jamesstem
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Licence Problem

Hi

I have just installed a new VMware system. We have licences for 2 x 2 CPU Enterprise ESX + 1 x VC Enterprise.

The licence server is installed on the VirtualCenter server itself as I have done in the past.

I can point the ESX servers at the licence server and it correctly picks up the licences and puts them into licensed mode.

However, when I try and take VirtualCenter itself out of trial mode it won't let me. It says "There are not enough licences installed to perform the operation". I am telling it to use itself as the licence server.

The licence server obviously works because the ESX hosts can use it directly?

I have tried everything I can think of.... can anyone help?

cheers

James

0 Kudos
14 Replies
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Please refer to chapter 5 Pg 45 of ESX Server 3 and VirtualCenter Installation Guide

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

James

Welcome to the forums.

if you open your license file in Notepad you will see a number of sections. the entry you are looking for is VC_PROD. I have a feeling that this is not available. you will have another license file on your portal that relates to this. download it and place it either in the licenses directory or copy the VC_PROD section form it and copy to your ESX license file at the end, save it and then issue reread of your license file.

You will then be able to correctly license your vCenter server.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
jamesstem
Contributor
Contributor

hi

The PROD_VC is already in my current licence file as shown below.....

INCREMENT PROD_VC VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 1 \

VENDOR_STRING="licenseType=Server;vmodl=vc;desc=VirtualCenter \

Any other ideas?

I have a feeling its because i installed it in eval mode...... do I need to reinstall VC?

cheers

James

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

not at all. where exactly are you trying to set the license info?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
jamesstem
Contributor
Contributor

When logged into the VI client as Administrator. Going to Administration and then VirtualCenter Management Server Configuration. Then Licence Server.

0 Kudos
jamesstem
Contributor
Contributor

Just pasting the diag info from my licence server showing the PROD_VC exists and has 1 available licence....

"Feature usage info:

Users of PROD_VC: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of PROD_ESX_FULL: (Total of 4 licenses issued; Total of 4 licenses in use)"

and

""PROD_VC" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

License server: tr-vc-svr1

floating license starts: 1-jan-1990, no expiration date

TS_OK: Checkout permitted when client is using terminal client"

cheers

James

0 Kudos
jamesstem
Contributor
Contributor

I have also just noticed the ESX hosts are picking up the licence server ok, but the HA etc features are showing as unlicensed use? The licences we have for ESX are Enterprise so I don't get why its displayed like this?

Picture attached!

0 Kudos
jamesstem
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to bump this, but I am still really stuck. I think my only option is to reinstall VC and hope that sorts it out. Can anyone give better advice?

0 Kudos
veggiesphere
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I had the same issue today.

The VC_PROD was correct etc the same as you.

To resolve you will have to set all ESX hosts back to eval and then remove VC, VI etc from the vcentre server.

Then reinstall but this time make sure that you don't use eval mode for VC and point to the license file.

Should work just fine then.

Cheers

Sam

0 Kudos
BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that reinstall of vCenter (U5 in my case) solved the problem. Took like 10 mins, so if you don't have made any particular settings this is the way to go imo.

/Björn

0 Kudos
RahulMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you still facing the licensing problem??.......Go to programfiles->VMware->License server->tools...In server status tab, perform a status enquiry. This will help you know the license file detail. Once the file is verified do a reread operation. This helps your Virtual center to read and pick the license file. This should solve the licensing problems.

0 Kudos
BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problems after reinstall. The license server could read the file perfectly. Logs and status enquiry showed no problems at all, could see status and licensed products. My problem lied in that the files did not show up in infrastructure client. Settings were correct (this was during SRM implementation so I had two new identical vCenter Servers) No files were found. Thanks though Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

u tried generate a new license via vmware website ?

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, both with single .lic and multiple (vCenter and ESX separated). Please note that the license server could successfully read the license. In my scenario an reinstallation was the fastest solution.

/Björn

0 Kudos