VMware Cloud Community
nsousaarlington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter High Availability (VCHA) 7 - Snapshots Supported?

Are snapshots supported on the vCenter appliances when they are using vCenter High Availability in version 7?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

No. It is currently not supported to use these operations on any of the VCHA nodes. You can use native file backup on the vCenter VAMI console

Refer Page 77 and 78 https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-70-availability-guide.pdf

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
nsousaarlington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What method are they referring to for backing up the Active node? In version 6, the vCenter appliance can use file-based backups to a file share. Is there new functionality in version 7 that performs an entire appliance backup?

Is it supported to take a backup of the Active node using Commvault?

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

see:VMware Knowledge Base

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

using backup software for the active node is not advisable as it will cause the VCHA to fail or trigger fail over. However you can use image level backup for active VCHA node and restoring of only the active node is supported. File level back up available from 6.0 to 7.0 it does not mean you can perform full level backup. Hope you understand it.

0 Kudos
nsousaarlington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not clear on what you mean by "image level backup". What software performs this image level backup? Is this native to the vCenter appliance, or would this be a VM-level backup through Commvault?

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Image level (VM level)  back means you can perform full VM backup along with all data’s via backup software which you have.

0 Kudos
nsousaarlington
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The method that Commvault uses to take an image-level backup is to take a VM snapshot, back up that snapshot and then commit the snapshot back to the base disk. Is this supported on the Active node running vCenter High Availability?

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Please ignore the previous response.

Since snapshots are not supported for active,passive and witness nodes, the only option is the file based backup on the vCenter VAMI ( native file backup).

Referred Able to perform snapshot of vCenter if vCenter HA is configured?

0 Kudos