VMware Cloud Community
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter HA Issues?

Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me... I have a very small ESXi deployment. I have installed vCenter (5.5 u2) as a VM using the packaged MS SQL Express version. I was testing for HA type failures, for example pulling network and san cables (so the ESXi server is isloated and loses both Network and SAN heartbeats and therfore allowing HA to kick in and restart vms) but when the vCenter Server is restarted on another host the service doesnt start... it complains about corruption... I have attached the error that is in the Windows Event Log...

Any direction would be great.

Dryv

9 Replies
vAMenezes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So if the VM restarted on another host, then HA is functioning as it should. The issue you mentioned sounds more like a problem inside the OS. Under services, have you tried restarting the vcenter services? Are the SQL services started?

0 Kudos
ShirinKumar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

This issue occurs when the SQL Server service is listening on a port other than 1433.

You can tr the below,

To resolve this issue: 

1. In vCenter Server, click Start > Run
  2. Type cmd and click OK. The command prompt opens. 
  3. Run this command to verify the port on which the SQL Server service is listening:

netstat -anb

4. If the SQL Server service is not listening on port 1433, open SQL Server Configuration Manager and set the port to 1433. For more information, see vCenter Single Sign On fails to connect to a Microsoft SQL instance (2039092)
  5. Restart the SQL Server service. 
  6. Restart the VMware VirtualCenter Server service. 

If the SQL Server is separate to the vCenter Server, ensure that network connectivity exists between the two systems ! !

Thanks

Himanshu_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of VC you are running.

Swatisingh88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you pulled network of VCenter of only host ?

if its vCenter then your HA will not work,

Pull network of Host only.

or Can you please tell more about scenario what you are using

if this post is helpful or fix issue please provide point for same

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌yes correct. HA is functioning. Only issue is vc is not starting! Which is a big issue! yes I've tried restarting the vcenter service and the same error is reported in event log. sql service is started

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

its a single server vcenter with Sql express chosen at install point To be on the same server. everything is at default so I would expect sql would be listening on 1433 but I will check this out

Himanshu_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please stop the vcenter management webservice and then vcenter server service

Then start the vcenter management webservice first and then try starting the vcenter server service

Please mark the answer helpful or correct accordingly

Thanx

Himanshu Gupta

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

I have attached some logs to see if this can help.

Please Note: I have tried manually restarting the vCenter Service, but it fails, which is why the logs show vCenter in a stopped state.

Thanks

Dryv

0 Kudos
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you check DSN connectivity?

Check ODBC Connectivity , if you are able to get the test to complete successful.

SQL server vcdb has to be running fine for connection to establish with vCenter.

2015-08-27T18:43:49.483+03:00 [03792 info 'utilvpxdVdb'] Registry Item DB 5 value is '50'

2015-08-27T18:43:49.484+03:00 [03792 info 'utilvpxdVdb'] [VpxdVdb::SetDBType] Logging in to DSN: VMware vCenter with username 

2015-08-27T18:43:49.500+03:00 [03792 error 'utilvpxdVdb'] [VpxdVdb::SetDBType]: Login failure - retrying once...

2015-08-27T18:43:49.501+03:00 [03792 error 'utilvpxdVdb'] [VpxdVdb::SetDBType] Failed to connect to database: .  Retry attempt: 1 ...

2015-08-27T18:43:51.316+03:00 [03920 warning 'VpxProfiler' opID=SWI-41a7] VpxUtil_InvokeWithOpId [TotalTime] took 12006 ms