VMware Cloud Community
jamesl73
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Filter missing VMs

vCenter 4.1

ESX 4.1 (260247)

I've recently discovered that if I filter VMs from the datacenter, folder or cluster level that VMs I know exist and match the criteria sometimes do not show up. 

For example I have VMs named test201, test202, test203.  If I go to the cluster level and filter for "test", test203 is missing.  I can however go to the exact host its on and see the VM and filter for it on the host successfully.

When I looked at all the columns I noticed none of them had the 'triangle' indicating that was the sort column.  After I clicked on the name column my filter started working properly.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jamesl73
Contributor
Contributor

didn't mean to post as a question

0 Kudos
jamesl73
Contributor
Contributor

Update.  Sorting the VMs helps most of the time, but there are still cases when a VM is still missing.  It is hit or miss if you can filter the VM.

0 Kudos
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any one find a fix for this yet?  I have the same issue.

Its not the Host, because I can "filter" for other VMs on that host and find them.

vCenter   4.1.0, 345043

Host with missing VM

4.1.0, 433742

0 Kudos
jamesl73
Contributor
Contributor

We still have the issue.  We reindexed the vCenter database to see if it would resolve the issue, but it did not.  As stated before, our workaround has been to sort the VMs 2 or 3 times before typing in the filter.

0 Kudos
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply James.

I had sorted but didn't work.  I tried it a few more times and then it worked.    Too bad it doesn't last past exiting and restarting the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos